Somerset County Council

Independent financial advice


We understand that you may be making important changes about how you live and need all the best information and help so that the decisions you make are right for you.

Although we have lots of information available to help you, we always recommend that you talk to someone completely independent about money matters, particularly if you are thinking of moving into a care home, and especially if you own a property.

There are many organisations that you can either phone or arrange to visit to talk things through.

Remember, if you get financial advice and they are recommending ways that you should invest or use your money against specific financial products, they must be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

You can check on the FCA website to see what this means.

Advice on paying for care
Here are some places you can get independent advice from:

The Money Advice Service website: offers information on paying for care or the option to speak to an online advisor. You can phone them on 0300 500 5000.

The Society of Later Life Advisers:  can help you find advice on how to make financial plans for care in your old age. You can phone them on 0333 2020 454, or use the website to search for a regulated financial advisor in your area.

Age UK:  has a good website with advice for older people and people planning for their later years. You can also phone them on 0800 169 6565

Carers UK: has a website resource of advice for carers. You can also phone them on 0808 808 7777


Contact: Customer Contact
Use the 'Contact Adult Social Care' form if you have a quick question for the team 
For a more detailed conversation please phone 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »