Somerset County Council

Paying for your care


The Government sets the level of savings that determines if you can get help with your care fees. This is called the 'Capital Threshold', and it is currently £23,250.

If you have more than this amount in capital and savings you cannot get any help with care fees from us. This means that you will have to pay the full amount of fees yourself until your savings fall to £23,250.

Other benefits you may qualify for
Attendance Allowance and Personal Independence Payments are non-means-tested, non-taxable benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions. There are different rates depending on the level of your needs. Everyone who needs care should consider claiming these benefits, however, they may not be paid if you are, or become, a permanent resident in a care home.

If you are entitled to the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment, this will not stop once you are in a care home and it is not included in your financial assessment. You may also want to consider applying for Universal Credit (if you are under pension age) or Pension Credit (if you are over pension age).

NHS Funded Care
People who pay for their own care in a nursing home can ask for an assessment to get NHS funding for the nursing part of their care. Your home will tell you how to do this. You will have to fill in a consent form. When you have signed the form, a District Nurse will arrange to visit you to carry out this assessment. You do not have to have an assessment, but if you choose not to have one, no payments can be made. 

The weekly rate for NHS funded care is £155.05. When the District Nurse has agreed that you are entitled to NHS funded care you can negotiate a reduction in your fees with your nursing home.  

Some homes do not reduce their fees but return the money to you once they have been paid by the NHS.

When to contact Somerset County Council for help with care fees
It is very important that you contact us as soon as possible when your savings drop to £30,000. We may be able to give you some help with care fees when this happens. If possible, visit a Community Connect drop-in, or you can phone us on 0300 123 2224.

Independent Financial Advice
We advise all residents to take independent financial advice, as there may be several different ways of paying for care.


Contact: Customer Contact
Use the 'Contact Adult Social Care' form if you have a quick question for the team 
For a more detailed conversation please phone 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »