Somerset County Council

Giving notice of marriage


Before marriages or civil partnerships take place, you must give notice in person that you intend to marry.

The minimum notice period is 29 days, but don't leave it this late. You can give notice up to a year before the ceremony date. If you are getting married in the Church of England and banns are to be called, you do not usually need to contact us or give notice of your marriage.

You can only give notice if you are legally free to marry or enter into a civil partnership. Only British citizens or European Union nationals can give notice in North Somerset. If either party is not British or a European Union national, notice must be given at a specially designated register office.

If you live in different registration districts, each person must give notice in the district where they live. We advise that the person living in the district where the ceremony will take place gives notice first. The second party will be expected to give notice within a few days.

To give notice you need to provide:

  • documentary evidence of your age, identity and nationality
  • proof of address 
  • if you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to confirm that you are free to marry again 

Please note that consideration of foreign divorce documents is subject to a fee of £50. In some circumstances this may increase to £75 if the document needs to be referred to the General Register Office. The fee is payable at the time of the notice of marriage appointment, is non-refundable and does not guarantee approval of the documents.  

You can book a registrar appointment by using our online booking system.

Book a registrar appointment 

Or you can contact us to give notice of your marriage or civil partnership and we’ll arrange an appointment for you to visit us.

Phone to book an appointment at either office - 01823 282 251 
Email - 

Make sure you bring everything you need to your appointment, including the fee.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »