Somerset County Council

Request permission for decorations across the road

We can grant permission to place any overhead banner, bunting, flags or Christmas decorations over, along or across a road as long as they comply with our terms and conditions.

You can apply online using the appropriate link below.

Application to place a structure projecting over or under the highway

Application to change a structure projecting over or under the highway 

When you contact us, please provide the following:  

  • Your name and phone number, in case we need to contact you
  • The proposed location of the banner, flags, including the road name  

Or you can download and fill in an application form. The form also gives full terms and conditions. Please return your completed application form to your local area highways office.

It is a good idea to check with your district or town council that the dates you need do not conflict with something already in place, like Christmas or festival decorations. 

Where a banner or decorations contain commercial advertising information, you must first get the necessary planning consent from the district council.

We will process your completed application within 10 working days. There is no cost for the permit.

You should not put up the items more than 7 days before an event and they must be removed within 3 days after the event.

You must provide Public Liability Insurance cover of £5 million. You must also agree to indemnify Somerset County Council against all claims in respect of any loss, injury (including death) sustained by any person, or damage occurring to any property, arising in any way whatsoever from the erection, presence and removal of the banner, bunting and decorations and all associated costs, charges and expenses paid or incurred.

Tacit consent
Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with your application within the target period specified, your application will have been deemed to have been granted or approved.

Please note that the target period only begins when we receive a fully completed application.

Some applications may be refused and in these circumstances reasons will be given.

For more information about structures on the highway in Somerset, please contact us.

Laws and regulation
The Highways Act 1980, Section 178 


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »