Families with 2 year old children who meet the criteria below can apply for funding for 2 year olds. Somerset County Council will pay for a place for up to 570 hours over the year at a registered childcare provider. A maximum of 15 hours per week is available. Children become eligible in the funding period after their second birthday.
This information is for people who live in Somerset.
How do I apply?
There is an online form which can be completed by clicking on the 'Apply now' button below. You can print out and post a copy of the form by clicking on the link in Information and resources or phone us on 0300 123 2224 to request an application form.
The funding periods are:
Spring 1 January to 31 March
Summer 1 April to 31 August
Autumn 1 September to 31 December
You can see more details about the entitlement on our Early Years Entitlement page.
Please see our Finding childcare page for more about what support is available.
Am I entitled?
Families who receive any of the following are entitled to funding for 2 year olds:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support (IS)
- Employment Support Allowance (Income Related) - not Contribution related
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA) - not Contribution based
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit with an annual taxable income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) of less than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit with an annual taxable income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) of less than £16,190
Children are entitled if any of the following apply to them:
- Children who are 2 and receive Disability Living Allowance
- Children who are 2 and have been adopted, or who have left care through special guardianship or child arrangement orders
- Children who are 2 and have a Statement of Special Educational Needs/Education Health and Care Plan
- Children who are 2 and are looked after by the local authority
What happens next?
Evidence will only need to be sent without prior request if an application is made and the child qualifies by receiving Disability Living Allowance. In this case, a copy of the latest award letter from the Department for Work and Pensions will need to be submitted before the application can be processed. We recommend attaching the evidence to the form at the time of application. If you are submitting the application online, you can send a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a copy to Entitlements Team, County Hall, Taunton, TA1 4DY.
If you are successful, you will be notified in writing and we will send you a list of approved providers in your area. You will need to contact a provider from the list and check they have an available place for your child. The provider will ask to see the letter and a copy of your child's birth certificate or passport.
Important: Only providers on the list that we send you are approved for funding for 2 year olds. If you wish to access a provider that is not on the list, please phone the Entitlements Team on 01823 357039 to see if your chosen provider can be funded. If it cannot be funded (only settings rated Good or Outstanding by Ofsted can take children that have been awarded funding for 2 year olds) or you access a provider that is not on the list without contacting us, you will have to pay. If you access more than the entitlement or any additional services at an approved provider, for example food, the provider will ask you to pay for these services.
If you have been offered funding for 2 year olds, this will continue, even if your circumstances change, until your child can claim the Early Years Entitlement. More information is available on our Early Years Entitlement page, by phoning 0300 123 2224 or by emailing email@example.com.
All applicants for funding for 2 year olds will be registered with the local Children’s Centre.