Frances Nicholson is Cabinet Member for Children and Families at Somerset County Council.
She was elected in 2009 and began by assisting the then Cabinet member in the learning and achievement area of the County's work. She also chaired the Taunton Academy building project steering group up to breaking ground for the beginning of construction. She took up her cabinet post in the summer of 2012. Her responsibilities cover both children’s social care and education.
Frances who lives near Dulverton actively represents her very rural division of Dulverton and Exmoor, comprising most of Exmoor and the Brendon Hills, much of it in the National Park. Frances is a County Council appointee to the National Park Authority.
Her degree is in philosophy and she has been a craft potter, managed a group of glossy magazines and more recently worked as a software developer.
- All responsibilities of the statutory Lead Member for Children Services role
- Lead Member for Children’s Services, learning and achievement
- Investing in and improving school facilities
- Improving the health of children and young people
- Addressing Child Poverty
- Supporting educational achievement and improved outcomes for children and young people
- Improving young people’s prospects and skills (shared with Cabinet Member for Resources and Economic Development)
- Delivery of Personalisation Agenda and Personal Budgets
- Protect and care for the most vulnerable
- Support and recruit more adopters and fosterers of children
- Improve prospects of disadvantaged children and young people and their families, and those at risk of being disadvantaged
- Specialist services for children with disabilities
- Special Educational Needs
- Safeguarding children
- School admissions
- Support Services for Education
- Academy conversions
- Youth offending and targeted youth work
- Early help services for children and young people and their families
- Early years and children’s centres
- Authority to nominate school governor candidates
- To be accountable for policy development and the financial and operational performance of services within their area of responsibility, including meeting the requirements of the County Plan and the Medium Term Financial Plan
You can find more information about this Member here