David Fothergill is Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Strategy and Customers and Communities. David, who openly admits that he was very humbled that his fellow councillors elected him leader in May 2017, has a firm belief that people make communities and the only way to deliver improvements is by talking and listening to residents.
David moved with his family to Somerset in 1992. He and his wife, Liz currently live in Stoke St Mary.
Since becoming involved in the life of the local community David has twice been Chairman of his Parish Council, Governor of a large local school and SCC Member for North Curry since 2009.
David was the Cabinet member for Highways and Transport from 2015 to 2017. Ahead of his cabinet role David was an ardent Chairman of Somerset County Council. In addition to his official duties in Council he was always keen to use the privilege of Chairmanship to help others far less fortunate than himself. He successfully raised £38,000 for his chosen Chairman’s charities – National Autistic Society and Somerset Trust for Arts and Recreation (STAR).
In any spare time he has David enjoys all aspects of history, watching sport and walking.
You can find more information about this Member here
- All statutory responsibilities of the Leader of the Council
- Overall responsibility for the Council
- Setting the Strategy and Vision for the whole organisation
- Providing overall leadership and direction working closely with the rest of Cabinet and the Senior Leadership Team
- Working closely with Cabinet in decision making to develop effective council policies and the delivery of high quality cost effective services to local people
- Regional, National and international affairs
- Developing and maintaining strategic relationships and relationships with key partners
- Lead Member for Commissioning
- Lead member for customers and communities
- Lead member for communications and management of the Council’s reputation
- Customer services and access channels
- Customer insight, research and evidence
- Consultation and engagement
- Lead member for equalities
- Lead member for localism and engagement with districts, parishes, town councils and communities
- Lead member for encouraging participation, volunteering and community self-help
- To appoint and hold Cabinet Members and Junior Cabinet Members to account for their areas of responsibility including financial and operational performance and meeting the requirements of the County Plan and the Medium Term Financial Plan