Please be aware that we will text parents and carers in order to remind you to apply for your child’s school place if we have not already received an application.
Pupils start at a junior school at the beginning of Year 3
Pupils start at a middle school at the beginning of Year 5
Who do I apply to?
All applications for a junior or middle school place in September 2018 must be made to your home authority - this is who you pay your council tax to. If you are unsure if your child lives in Somerset, you can check whether we are your local authority for school admissions here.
How do I get more information?
If your child is due to start at a junior or middle school in September 2018 you are advised to carefully read the Primary Admissions Guide before making your application. This contains everything you need to know in order to make your school place application including information on the different types of school, Published Admission Numbers and the criteria used to allocate places at schools and academies.
Here are the criteria used to allocate places at VC and Community schools
For the criteria used to allocate places at other types of school and academies please choose the area you are interested in from the list below and then choose the school or academy to see their admission arrangements.
If you would like information on how places were allocated at your preferred schools in previous years please see our School Place Allocation Summaries page.
How do I apply?
Please scroll down for some important tips for making your school place application.
Apply for junior or middle school
This form is available until 15 January 2018. Please see our helpful guide to making an online application in the information and resources section of this page. Or you can download and use this application form.
How will I find out which school I’ve been offered?
If you applied online by 15 January, you will receive an email with the outcome of your application on 16 April 2018. If you applied using a paper application form your outcome will be sent out by second class post on 16 April 2018. Outcomes will not be given out over the phone or in person at the Council offices.
From 16 April 2018 you can view the outcome of your application by logging into the online application system here.
What if I missed the deadline or want to change my preferences after the closing date?
Please note, it is the parent/carer's responsibility to make an on-time school place application. If you are making an application after the closing date, it will be classed as late and your application will be considered according to the dates below.
For applications received by 4 May 2018 we will aim to send outcomes on 8 June 2018.
Applications received after 4 May 2018 will be processed in strict date order of receipt.
What if I want to apply for a primary school?
If you wish to apply for your child to move to another school (for example, from an infant to a primary school), please see the page In Year School Admissions for advice on in year admissions which are school moves outside of the usual school transfer cycle.
We would strongly advise that you carefully consider the following when making your school place application.
- It is strongly advised you put three school preferences on your form especially if you live in an urban area. You are not given a higher priority for any school by stating it as your only preference and may be more likely to be allocated a school you have not chosen. This could also be some distance from your home address. Although it is unlikely it could even be the case that it is not possible to allocate your child a school place and you need to make a further application in the second round.
- All preferences are considered equally and a place is offered at the highest preference possible.
- If you wish to be considered for your catchment school you must include it as one of your preferences. You can check your school catchment area on a map on the Check Catchment School page. The map is a representation of the catchment areas and cannot be relied upon for purchasing a property. If you are considering purchasing a property or if you live near a school border then please contact us.
- There are no guarantees that siblings will be allocated the same school when the school is over-subscribed so you are advised to put other preferences, especially if you live outside the catchment area.
- Carefully read the over-subscription criteria for the schools you have chosen. This can be found further up this page under the heading How do I get more information?
- If your preferred school(s) requires a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) or further proof (for example, proof of regular church attendance), it is essential that this is sent in with your application form if you would like your child to be considered under the appropriate criterion. All SIFs can be found on the school website. For VC schools only the religious proof SIF can be downloaded from the right hand side of this page.
- If you have recently moved address or are due to move please provide proof of your new address. This can be the ‘exchange of contracts’ letter from the solicitors on a house purchase or a minimum six month tenancy agreement.
- You will be responsible for transporting your child to any school you name as a preference unless you have a statutory entitlement.
- Please ensure you fully complete the applicant details section of the application form including supplying a phone number. School Transport use a texting service to notify parents of changes to transport arrangements and require accurate and up to date details.
Fraudulent school place applications
We thoroughly investigate all potentially fraudulent or misleading applications we are made aware of and welcome information from schools and the public. For the 2017/18 academic year two school places were withdrawn as a result of information received about potentially fraudulent or misleading home addresses.
If you know or suspect that someone is trying to or has gained a school place fraudulently please let us know. You can send us this information anonymously if you prefer and rest assured that your details will remain completely confidential.