Please contact us to report casualties on the road that may be a hazard to the public. When you contact us, please give us the following information:
- Your name and phone number in case we need to contact you
- Where the injured or dead animal is, including the name or number of the road.
- Whether it is on the road, the pavement or the verge
- What the animal is – for example, a badger, deer or fox
There are four different options for reporting a dead or injured animal
1. Report a dead or injured animal on the road - phone us on 0300 123 2224. For a dead animal on the pavement or verge, contact the district council for where the animal is. You can find district council contact information in the Information and resources section of this page.
2. Report a dead animal in a public place - for the Taunton Deane Borough Council area only visit their website . For all other areas please contact the district council for where the animal is. You can find district council contact information in the Information and resources section of this page.
3. Report abandoned or dead farm animal - please phone us on 0300 123 2224 if the animal is on the road.
4. Report a dead animal in a waterway - please contact The Canal and River Trust on 0303 040 4040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For dead animals on the road, we will usually attend within one and a half hours if the animal is causing a hazard. We will then arrange for it to be removed.
If you find a badger or other protected species injured, please contact us. We will contact someone from a list of vets willing to attend roadside casualties.
We record road casualties, deaths and injuries, of badgers, deer and other protected species to provide information and statistics for the Somerset Wildlife Trust and Somerset Environmental Record Centre.