Asbestos is of particular concern, because of the well-documented health problems associated with exposure to it. We can provide a comprehensive package to identify asbestos and to ensure it is removed safely. Our aim is to give advice, educate and provide scientific monitoring to ensure the protection of our employees and the public from exposure to asbestos.
Our experienced asbestos team provides a full range of analysis, air monitoring and asbestos survey work including:
- Advice on sampling and surveys.
- On- Site testing facilities - fully equipped mobile laboratory for carrying out site based air monitoring.
- Asbestos surveying - locating asbestos containing materials within buildings; sampling and analysing suspect materials; producing reports to provide an Asbestos register and practical advice concerning any remedial action required.
- Project management - ensuring that the performance and activities of contractors complies with agreed specifications.
- Asbestos identification - bulk analysis of samples suspected of containing asbestos.
- Air Monitoring - smoke and 4 stage clearance testing of enclosures. Reassurance and leak testing before during and /or after work involving asbestos.
- Training - Asbestos Awareness seminars and site/laboratory training in identification of asbestos materials for technical officers.
- Analysis interpretation
- Fast track turnaround available by arrangement.
We undertake paid work for:
- County and District Councils
- Businesses of all sizes
- Members of the public
Fill in this form to make an enquiry for more information about our services and advice on sampling. Quotations are available on request.
Timescales depend on the tests required. Please contact us for further information. Quick turn-around times are available for bulk analysis of suspect materials by arrangement.
We offer a comprehensive service including:
- Data interpretation;
- advice on monitoring and sampling;
- advice on storage and transit;
- agreed turnaround times including fast tracking of urgent samples and
- results by email or on paper
These are all chargeable services and we can give you up to date costs if you phone us on 01823 355906.
If you require a sample to be analysed for the presence of asbestos, it is very important that the material is received into the laboratory 'double bagged'. This requires the sample being inserted into a single plastic bag and sealed, and then placed in another plastic bag and sealed.
The sample can be sent by post or delivered by hand to the office. It must be accompanied by a letter requesting the analysis and giving information about the address and location the sample was taken from.
We can provide expert advice about general asbestos issues, such as identification and handling. We are responsible for the management of asbestos in our own properties. We have no enforcement powers and can only provide an advisory role in relation to work premises.
Who do I contact to find out more about asbestos disposal?
Somerset Waste Partnership, the Asbestos Team and Somerset Scientific Services can give you more information about:
Asbestos - Fly tipping
- For fly-tipped asbestos by the side of the highway or on Somerset County Council land, contact Somerset Waste Partnership who will arrange for a contractor to come out and collect the waste. Contact us on 01823 625700.
- For advice on other fly-tipped asbestos, contact the Environment Agency. The Environment Agency has a free 24-hour hotline 0800 80 70 60 for people to report fly tipping.
Asbestos in domestic premises
For asbestos in council housing - contact your District Council. For asbestos in private domestic property contact your District Council or the Asbestos Team.
Asbestos in the workplace
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities enforce asbestos issues in their workplace under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. For construction, manufacturing, agriculture - contact the HSE. For shops, offices, warehouses - contact your District Council. The County Council is responsible for the management of asbestos in its own properties. It has no enforcement powers and can only provide an advisory role in relation to the above premises. Advice on the management of asbestos is available from us and the HSE.
Accreditation, training and experience.
The laboratory is accredited by UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) for asbestos identification , fibre counting and on-site sampling, and is one of only a few laboratories in the south west to be accredited for carrying out this work using a fully equipped mobile laboratory. The team is also UKAS accredited for carrying out asbestos surveys.
Any asbestos removal from premises is strictly controlled by the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations (CAR) 2006 and involves, smoke and 4 stage clearance testing of enclosures, background, reassurance and leak testing before during and after work involving asbestos.
Using our fully equipped mobile laboratory, we can carry out on-site air monitoring anywhere in the south west with a short response time.
The new CAR have introduced a 4 stage clearance test to be used after asbestos has been removed. A certificate of re-occupation will be issued once the site is cleared for reuse.
Asbestos training and awareness.
With the implementation of the new Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006, asbestos awareness has become of prime importance to employers and workplace owners. The asbestos team offer both awareness seminars and on site training in the identification of asbestos materials.
Laws and regulation
Information on legislation can be found on the following site: Health and Safety Executive. Please refer to the Information and Resources section for a link to this website.
We are accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) for testing and inspections (asbestos). UKAS inspect us every year. We participate in external proficiency testing schemes including RICE and AIMS. We are supported by a dedicated analytical quality control section. Links to our schedules of accreditation can be found in the Information and Resources section of this page.