The Traveller Education Service offers advice and support to schools, Traveller pupils and families. Traveller children are from Gypsy, Irish Traveller, Romany, New Traveller, Circus and Fairground families. Traveller children can be living in houses, on authorised private or council sites, unauthorised sites or temporary fairground and circus locations.
Carefully managed support by the school and the Traveller Education Service can help Traveller children to settle into their new school and maintain continuity of education.
Our policy is to clarify the action that the Local Authority and schools should take in order to:
- ensure that services to Traveller families enable these five outcomes to be achieved;
- prepare all young people to participate in our increasingly multi-ethnic and multi-cultural society;
- support the development of strong and confident identities for all pupils, as individuals and members of communities;
- eliminate discrimination and racism; and
- value and celebrate diversity.
You can find out more by downloading our Policy for Traveller Communities document.