Somerset County Council

Apply for planning permission for a waste related development


We are responsible for determining planning applications for waste related developments such as landfill, waste processing/treatment, and recycling in Somerset.  We also monitor the sites regularly, and take enforcement action when appropriate.

How do I use it?
Anyone can submit a waste related planning application. However due to the complexity of the information required we recommend that a planning agent is used to submit waste applications.

Your application must be submitted on the National Planning Application Forms (1APP). You can submit the form by post or online from the Planning Portal website (external link) and this must be accompanied by the information required by the Validation of Planning Applications document, which can be found in the Information and Resources section.  We encourage you to read our Planning Control Pre-application Advice Protocol before submitting an application. The Protocol sets out the benefits of seeking pre-application advice, what you can expect from us during the process, and what we expect from you.  

Applicants must also submit a completed certificate under Section 65 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 with their application.  A notice under Article 11 of the Act may also be required if the owner of the land (or any part of the land) included in the application are not known.  This notice must be published in a local newspaper circulating in the locality in which the application is situated.

What happens next?
When we receive a valid planning application we will write to you acknowledging receipt and will inform you of:

  • the application reference number 
  • the name of the officer dealing with your application 
  • the anticipated date when we expect to take the application to the Regulation Committee for determination.  

What is covered?
Waste developments include:

  • Landfill 
  • Waste disposal 
  • Waste treatment 
  • Waste recycling plants 
  • Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs)  

Applications for all other developments should be submitted to your relevant District/Borough Council. 

How long does it take?
We will endeavour to determine waste applications within 13 weeks, unless a Planning Performance Agreement is in place which may set a different timescale for determination. 

How much does it cost?
Planning fees are set by Central Government. The fee payable depends on the nature and size of the development. Please read the Schedule of Planning Fees. 

The Code of Planning Practice provides a clear statement of expectation of conduct and procedures to be followed, so that decisions are made and can be seen to have been made in a proper manner.

Please read the following documents before submitting a planning application:

  • Planning Control Pre-application advice protocol
  • The Validation of Planning Applications and Planning Application Requirements List
  • Monitoring of Mineral and Waste Planning Permissions site monitoring leaflet 

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »