Somerset County Council

Report an unauthorised planning development

We are responsible for investigating reports about alleged cases of unauthorised tipping or mineral extraction. We are also responsible for investigating reports about breaches of conditions relating to waste, minerals or our own developments, such as schools, Somerset libraries, Social Services developments and new roads. Any other unauthorised developments are the responsibility of the District Councils. We will deal with all reports quickly and efficiently. 

Anyone can report a suspected unauthorised development. You can use the button below or make a report by letter, phone or email. 

Report now

If you make a report in writing, we will acknowledge your report. Our enforcement or monitoring teams will investigate the alleged breach of planning control. If a breach of planning control is found, we will take the necessary action to resolve the matter, either by negotiation or formal enforcement action. We will let you know the outcome once the investigation is complete. 

We investigate unauthorised waste related matters, such as tipping, recycling, treatment of waste and unauthorised mineral extraction including peat, and breaches of conditions attached to planning permissions for mineral, waste and the County Council's own developments. 

The Enforcement and Monitoring of Planning Control Good Practice Guide sets out the County Planning Authority's objectives for the monitoring and enforcement of planning control under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, the Planning and Compensation Act 1991 and the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004. For more information please see the Information and resources section or this page. 


Contact: Planning Control Team
Address: Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Phone: 01823 358254
Fax: 01823 356114
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »