The Northern Inner Distributor Road (NIDR), is a new road which will link Staplegrove Road in the west to Priory Avenue in the east (see road alignment layout plan on right hand side). The estimated cost of the scheme is £21 million and it is being grant funded by the Department for Transport, together with contributions from Somerset County Council, and adjacent relevant developers.
The NIDR will provide an additional east - west link, reducing congestion along Greenway Road, Priorswood Road, and the Rowbarton areas. It will also provide access to brown field development sites at Taunton West goods Yard, Taunton East Goods Yard and also the Firepool Area.
The Scheme involves:
- Construction of a new bridge over the River Tone and the canal in the vicinity of Priory Fields Business Park
- Replacement of the former rail bridge over Station Road to the north of Whitehall
- Replacement of existing foot bridge over the railway at Chip Lane
- Construction of approximately 1.6 km of new carriageway together with the realignment of a further 150 metres of carriageway
- Construction of a new junction at the Chip Lane / Staplegrove Road junction
- Improvements to the existing Priory Bridge Road / Priory Avenue / Priory Park junction
- The provision of pedestrian and cycle facilities
- Construction work is planned to commence in July 2013 and completed in March 2015.
Construction work started in July 2013 and is planned for completion spring/summer 2015. Please see the Key Construction Progress and Traffic Management report by clicking on the link in ‘Information and Recourses’ on the top right hand side of this page.