For a comprehensive guide to all our Transport Policies please take a look at the Transport Policy Directory. This handy guide is available to download from Information and resources.
Copies of all our transport strategies and the Review of Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension can also be found in the Information and Resources section.
You can contact us for general enquiries and copies of documents. General enquiries and electronic copies of documents are free. A charge will be made for printed copies of documents where these are available. Please contact us for more information.
How to influence transport policies in Somerset
Contact us providing the following information:
- Your name and telephone number
- The policy or principle that you wish to comment on
- Any suggestions you have for improving our approach to transport policy
We will evaluate whether your suggestions can be taken forward in future policy work and explain any relevant context that is informing our work.
We work to understand what people in Somerset require from transport. We develop plans to meet the current need and to manage future transport demand.
Our overarching strategy for transport is set out in the Somerset Future Transport Plan (FTP). You can find out more about the FTP by clicking on the link under 'Related Services' on the right.
Somerset's Future Transport Plan sets out a long term strategy for helping to get the best from transport. The plan explains how we will make the most of what we have now and prepares us for new opportunities in the long term. You can find out more about the plan by clicking on the link on the right.
Often we need to develop more detailed strategies for specific issues, to help us to put the plan into action. Copies of these studies can be downloaded from the Information and Resources section.
This work has helped us to secure funding for major transport schemes like the Third Way in Taunton and helps us to target smaller investments where they are needed. It also helps to ensure that new developments work well and don't cause transport problems.
We develop strategies and studies to address specific issues such as planned urban growth. These documents are reviewed and updated where necessary; links to these documents are on the right.
- Active Travel Strategy - August 2012
- Parking Strategy - March 2012
- Motorcycling Strategy - December 2011
- Freight Strategy - December 2011
- Bridgwater, Taunton and Wellington Future Transport Strategy, 2011-2026 - November 2011
- Somerset Bus Strategy 2018-2026 - December 2018 (replaces the Bus section of the Passenger Transport Strategy)
Strategies currently in development or under review include:
- Somerset Rail Strategy (to replace the Rail section of the Passenger Transport Strategy)
The development of comprehensive transport strategies supports the Council's bids for funding whenever opportunities arise. These are almost always competitive processes where the County Council will need to demonstrate why investment should be made in Somerset. Recent bid activity has included:
- Moving Bridgwater Forward - Local Sustainable Transport Fund Bid, February 2012 (successful)
- Two Moors Sustainable Transport Visitor Travel Project - Local Sustainable Transport Fund Bid, February 2012 (awaiting outcome)
- Somerset Better Bus Area Fund Bid, February 2012 (unsuccessful)
Work within transport strategy is also used to help support partners, for example supporting district councils in forward planning matters. Recent work has included:
- South Somerset District Councils Second Addendum Review of Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension June 2012
- Local Representation on Yeovil Eco-Urban Extension Review
- Yeovil Highway Infrastructure Report November 2011
- Yeovil Western Corridor Study
- Yeovil Western Corridor Study - Figures
- Yeovil Western Corridor Study - Appendices
- Yeovil Eastern Corridor Study
Several leaflets have been produced to look at transport in specific areas (these informed the development of the final transport strategy in these towns):
- Transport in Bridgwater - The Way Ahead to 2026
- Transport in Taunton - The Way Ahead to 2026
- Transport in Wellington - The Way Ahead to 2026
Other publications include guidance notes, consultation responses and various reports. There are links to these in the Information and resources section of this page..