Somerset County Council

Insurance claims


If you have had an accident that was contributed to by a defect on the road, you may be able to claim reimbursement of your losses if you can prove that we have failed in our duties. Usually, the majority of road-related claims against the County Council are defended successfully.

We have a robust system to demonstrate that we take all reasonable steps to make sure roads are safe. In practice, this means that all inspections and repairs carried out form the basis of the authority's statutory defence against any claim under the Highways Act 1980.

The Highway Safety Inspection Manual describes how we comply with the national standards for road inspections and maintenance. This website tells you about the code of practice:Well Maintained Highways – Code of Practice for Highway Maintenance Management

You can find a copy of the Highway Inspection Manual in the Information and resources section of this page.

How do I make a claim? 
We no longer accept letters of claim from the public to process claims. You must fill in a claim form for us to consider and investigate your claim. You can find the claim form in the Information and resources section. 

Please submit your completed claim form with supporting documentary evidence to either the email or postal address below. 

Motor insurance incidents
If you have been involved in an incident with a Somerset County Council vehicle, please provide the following information:

  • Full name and address
  • Vehicle registration
  • Date of incident
  • Location of incident
  • Circumstances of incident
  • Damage sustained
  • Insurance details if necessary

Highways claims
If you have suffered personal injury or damage to your property which you believe has been caused by the negligence of Somerset County Council and you wish to make a claim against the Council, please provide:

  • Your full name and address
  • If you sustained an injury, include your date of birth and National Insurance Number
  • The date of the incident
  • The cause of incident
  • The precise location of the incident
  • The damage caused, including amount of loss
  • Photographs, if available
  • Copy of estimates or invoices

How long does it take? 
You must complete the claims form and attach the requested information, otherwise we will be unable to consider your claim further.

When you contact us we will acknowledge receipt of your claim within 21 days and tell you if we have enough information to investigate it.

We expect to have finished our investigations of your incident within 40 working days and will tell you whether we consider ourselves to be able to successfully defend this matter in the courts or concede.

If there are any delays in our investigation, which will significantly extend the life of the claim, we will make every effort to tell you. 


Contact: Insurance Section
Address: Retained Finance Service, Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton, TA1 4DY

Main phone: 0300 123 2224

Claims and Service queries: 01823 359865
SMF and Motor Fleet: 01823 359582
Service queries: 01823 359690
Motor claims: 01823 359815
Highway claims: 01823 357448 

Fax: 01823 355 554

Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday 9am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »