Somerset County Council

Dropped kerbs and driveways


You can apply for a Dropped Vehicle Crossing (also known as a dropped kerb) using the button below

Apply now 

Important changes to the processing of licence applications
Since 1 January 2016 we no longer publish a list of Accredited Contractors on our website. For us to process an application you must supply certain information. You can find out what needs to be supplied with each application form on this page.

Important changes to the processing of highway applications - letter

Anyone who wants to make a driveway onto their property (a dropped kerb) will need approval from us as the Highway Authority. This approval takes the form of a Section 184 Licence. 

Please contact your District Council Planning Department before you contact us, to find out if you need planning permission to create a vehicle access. If required, you must get this before you submit an application.

If the work requires piping, culverting or obstructs an ordinary watercourse, whether permanent or temporary, it is a legal requirement under section 23 of the Land Drainage Act to seek consent from the relevant authority. 

You can find more information on our Consent to work on an ordinary watercourse page. 

Anyone who wants to form an access which crosses a footway or a grass verge will need the approval of the Highway Authority and this approval takes the form of a Section 184 Licence. 

If the access is onto an unclassified road, planning permission may not be required but the applicant should always check with their local District Council Planning Department. 

Access to any other class of road requires planning permission.

To find out the classification of a road you need to contact the Road Records Section.

We ensure that accesses on to the highway are constructed in compliance with our safety standards and that the work is carried out by contractors accredited to work on the highway.

Please note: we cannot take responsibility for the availability of the accredited contractors to either undertake works or provide a service.

You can complete the application form in the information and resources section of this page.    

You then need to send the application form with the appropriate planning permission details and enclose a cheque for £90 made payable to Somerset County Council to the appropriate area highways office.

We will then send an acknowledgement letter to the contractor. The contractor will not be able to start work until they receive a permit to proceed with the works. 

We will process your submitted application within 21 working days and issue a permit where appropriate or explain a refusal.

The contractor will have to complete the work before a given expiry date. If the works have not been substantially completed before the expiry date, a new application must be made. A Section 184 Licence runs for three months.

We will inspect the works and issue a certificate of compliance on completion and make sure the works do not conflict with any other work planned in the same location by other contractors.


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »