Somerset County Council

Pay a parking fine


You can pay a parking fine using our on-line payment service button below. 

Please allow 24 hours from when the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) was served before using this service to ensure the details are available on the system. 

Pay now

If you would like to view or challenge your Penalty Charge Notice please visit our
View or Challenge a Penalty Charge Notice page.  gives you details all the current parking restrictions on Somerset’s roads.

You can find further information that may be useful below and in the Information and resources section of this page.

Parking Services  

Somerset County Council, in partnership with our parking contractor NSL, is responsible for enforcing all on-street parking in Somerset. Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs) conduct daily patrols on most roads where parking restrictions apply. It is a driver’s responsibility to check their parking place for any restrictions and to ensure any ticket or permit is clearly and correctly displayed.

We enforce on-street parking restrictions to improve road safety for all road users, to improve the flow of traffic, and to make sure emergency vehicles and public transport can travel without obstruction or delay. 

We are also responsible for all on-street parking meters, permits and waivers /dispensations.

In addition we administer Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) issued in off-street car parks on behalf of the district councils in Mendip, Sedgemoor, Taunton Deane and West Somerset.

Restrictions and Enforcement

We enforce a number of parking restrictions, including: 

  • Vehicles parked on yellow lines or where loading restrictions are in place
  • Vehicles parked without clearly displaying a valid, or the correct permit/voucher/ticket to allow them to do so 
  • Vehicles parked for longer than the purchased time or for longer than permitted
  • Vehicles parked in a suspended bay
  • Vehicles parked in a bus stop
  • Vehicles parked outside of bay markings
  • Vehicles parked across a driveway (at the homeowner’s request) 

We are not able to take any action against parked vehicles which are causing an obstruction where no parking restriction applies. These vehicles can only be dealt with by the Police who should be contacted via their non-emergency telephone number: 101. 

We are also unable to serve PCNs to vehicles parked on pavements unless there is a relevant parking restriction on the roadside adjacent to them.

Our priority enforcement areas are: 

Town Centres and busy routes: to improve traffic flow and improve parking facilities for shoppers and to reduce congestion during busy periods. 

Bus routes and bus stops: to enable public transport to run on-time and allow buses to pull up to the pavement to aid passengers with children, limited mobility or heavy shopping. 

Residential areas: to reduce the impact of commuter parking in controlled parking zones, improving safety, vehicle noise and lower exhaust emissions making a better environment for local residents. 

Disabled parking facilities: to minimise the abuse of the Blue Badge Scheme and ensure parking facilities are available for badge holders. 

We also enforce bus lanes using CCTV technology. 

All income recovered from the enforcement of traffic regulations can only be used to pay for the service and highway related schemes. 

We operate the service in accordance with National Legislation and guidance. 

If you would like to report a vehicle parked in contravention of the restrictions, please contact our enforcement contractor, NSL on 01823 210566. 

Frequently Asked Questions 

Can I park for a few minutes on a single or double yellow line to drop off passengers or to load or unload?
In most cases yes, providing there are no signs or lines prohibiting it and you are not causing a hazard or an obstruction. The loading and unloading activity must be visible and continuous. You must not load or unload where it is prohibited. Please check the Highway Code to see which signs and lines apply.  

Can I park for a few minutes while I get change to pay for parking?
No.  You are expected to anticipate the need and carry change to pay for parking. In most areas you can pay for parking by telephone, check the signs for details.  

Why did I get a PCN when I left a note in the car advising I was loading or had broken down?
A note is not a valid permit to park and if you wish to challenge your PCN you will need to send a copy of any evidence to support the reason your vehicle was parked in contravention of the restrictions i.e. a breakdown recovery receipt, or delivery note.

How can a motorist be assured that their PCN has been served fairly? 
Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs) are trained to follow procedures to ensure that PCNs are served fairly. In some cases this means observing for a period of time to ensure that an exemption (for example loading or unloading) does not apply. The software used in their handheld computer prevents a PCN from being served until the required observation period is completed. A CEO is also required to gather relevant information (such as the vehicle registration mark, tax disc details and photographs) before a PCN can be served. The motorist can view these details, including the photographs, on-line, by clicking on View or challenge a Penalty Charge notice in the Related services section of this page. 

Can you send out a CEO to deal with inconsiderate parking?
A CEO can only serve a PCN where a vehicle is in contravention of a parking restriction. You can report inconsiderate parking to Somerset Parking Services and it will be investigated as soon as possible. If a vehicle is causing a hazard or an obstruction that must be moved immediately please contact the Police.  

I no longer own this vehicle, why do you keep writing to me? 
According to the DVLA you were the registered keeper on the date of the contravention. If you have sold the vehicle you must submit evidence, along with the name and address of the purchaser, to Somerset County Council. You will also remain liable until the DVLA have been notified.

I wasn’t driving at the time, why do you keep writing to me?
The registered keeper is liable for any PCNs served to the vehicle irrespective of who was driving at the time the contravention occurred. 

Where am I allowed to park if I am a Blue Badge Holder?
The following rules apply when parking using a blue badge:

  • Yellow lines - You may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours. Providing there is no loading restriction. The parking clock indicating your time of arrival must be displayed.
  • On-street parking meters and pay-and-display machines - You may park for free and unless otherwise stated there is no time limit
  • On-street disabled parking bays - You may park for free and unless otherwise stated there is no time limit
  • Car parks - Operators should provide disabled spaces, however it is up to them to decide whether these are free of charge. Check signage for details.
  • Free of charge, on-street limited waiting bays - You may park here without time limitations.
  • Resident’s Parking Zones – You are not permitted to park unless you have a relevant permit for the zone. If the zone is shared use and also allows limited waiting you may park without time limitations. 

You are not permitted to park in such a way as to cause a hazard or an obstruction

You must make sure your badge and time clock (when required) is clearly displayed.

Full details are provided in the booklet 'The Blue Badge Scheme: rights and responsibilities in England' which was issued with your badge. 


Contact: Somerset Parking Services
Address: Somerset County Council, PO Box 167, Sheffield, S98 1JN 
Phone: 0333 999 8889 

Opening Hours (To speak to an advisor about a Penalty Charge Notice or a parking permit): Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday closed

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »