Somerset County Council

Challenge or make a representation about a Penalty Charge Notice



You can challenge or make a representation to a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) by using the button below.

Challenge or make a representation details all current parking restrictions on Somerset's roads.

You can also find further information that may be useful below and in the Information and resources section of this page.

What should I do if I receive a PCN? 

Most importantly, do not ignore it. At this stage you can either pay or challenge the PCN.

What will happen if I ignore the PCN?

If you ignore the PCN or any subsequent letters, or do not follow the process detailed on this web page, the debt will be registered at court and pursued. Ultimately this may result in the case being referred to an Enforcement Agent (Bailiff) which will result in additional costs being added. For full details of the process, please refer to the PATROL website

How much is a PCN? 

In Somerset, a charge of £70 (reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days) is made for more serious contraventions e.g. parking on a yellow line. A lesser charge of £50 (reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days) applies to less serious parking contraventions such as overstaying a time limit, or failing to pay for parking. A charge of £60 (reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days) is made for contravening bus lane regulations. Further charges may apply for late payment. 

How do I pay the PCN?

You can pay a PCN online on our Pay a parking fine page. Details of alternative ways to pay are printed on the PCN.

If you have lost the PCN, please phone 0300 123 2224.

If you make your payment within 14 days you may pay a discounted rate of 50% of the full PCN amount. If payment is made after the 14 day discount period, the full amount of the PCN will be due. 

What will happen when I pay the PCN?

Payment is seen as acceptance of the penalty.  This will result in the case being closed and further correspondence may not be considered.

I can’t afford to pay my penalty(ies) in full, can I pay by instalments?

There is no provision within the legislation to enable drivers to pay by instalments and the Council is under no obligation to offer or agree to an instalment plan.

However, each request will be considered on its merits. To enable an assessment to be considered, a full financial breakdown including income and expenditure must be provided. Any proposal must be realistic and reasonable to ensure the outstanding sum is paid with the minimum of delay.

Where necessary consideration will be given to passing the outstanding debt to our Enforcement Agents (Bailiffs) who are able to consider an instalment arrangement. However, it is important to realise this will increase the overall sum due.

How do I challenge a PCN?

Stage 1 - Informal Challenge

There is a statutory process that has to be followed when challenging a PCN. 

Please see the guidance on the back of the PCN for details of the process. 

Challenges must be made in writing, either online (by using the 'View, challenge or pay now' button above) or by post to the contact details below.  Please state why you believe you should not pay the PCN and include any information or evidence you feel is relevant.

For additional information please see Somerset County Council’s Challenges and Representations Guidance available in the Information and resources section.

If we accept your challenge you will not be required to pay the PCN. 

Can I come to your office to challenge or discuss my PCN? 

Challenges to a PCN can only be dealt with in writing either online or by post. You will receive a written response. 

How long will it be before I receive a reply to a challenge? 

You should receive a response within 10 working days of receipt. 

If I submit a challenge, will I lose the opportunity to pay at the discounted rate? 

No, if we reject your challenge and it was received within 14 days of the PCN being served you will generally be given a further 14 days in which to make payment at the discounted amount. 

My Challenge has been rejected and I don't agree, what happens now? 

Stage 2 - Formal Representation 

If your challenge is rejected, (or none is received) and the PCN remains unpaid, the registered keeper of the vehicle will receive a Notice to Owner (NTO). This will state there is a further 28 days to pay the full amount of the PCN or to make representations to the Council. The grounds for making a representation are detailed on the NTO, which must be made in writing by the registered keeper. 

We will carefully consider the representation and respond to you, in writing, within 56 days.

If your representation is accepted you will not be required to pay the PCN. 

If your representation is rejected you will have the opportunity to either pay the PCN or Appeal to the Independent Adjudicator at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal Service (TPT). You may only appeal to the Independent Adjudicator after you have received the Notice of Rejection of Representation.

I have already paid this PCN and you have sent me a Notice to Owner

Please write to us with the details and evidence of the payment. 

My representation has been rejected and I don't agree, what happens now?

Stage 3 - Appeal to the Independent Adjudicator 

Details of how to Appeal will be provided on the formal Notice of Rejection of Representation. The adjudicator is impartial and their decision is binding on both parties. 

If you win the Appeal you will not be required to pay the PCN.

If you lose the Appeal you will be required to pay the outstanding amount of the PCN within 28 days.

For full details of the process, please see Traffic Penalty Tribunal in the Information and resources section.

What should I do if I receive a Charge Certificate? 

If the PCN remains unpaid a Charge Certificate will be sent to the registered keeper. The Charge Certificate increases the amount outstanding by 50%. The Council is under no obligation to accept late challenges or representations. Details of how to make payment are shown on the certificate. 

What should I do if I receive an Order for Recovery? 

If payment is not received an Order for Recovery will be sent. The Order for Recovery increases the amount outstanding by £8 due to a Court Registration Fee. Payment can be made as detailed on the Order, alternatively a Witness Statement/Statement of Truth can be filed at the County Court Business Centre. 

A Statement can be filed for one of the following reasons:

  • I did not receive the Notice to Owner.
  • I made representations about the penalty charge to the enforcing authority concerned within 28 days of the service of the Notice to Owner, but did not receive a rejection notice.
  • I appealed against the local authority’s decision to reject my representation, within 28 days of service of the rejection notice, but have had no response to my appeal.
  • The penalty charge has been paid in full.    

Please be aware proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against you if you make or cause to be made a false statement in an application verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

I've been contacted by the Enforcement Agents (previously known as Bailiffs) but want to challenge the penalty now. Can I do this? 

No.  As the case has now progressed to the enforcement stage, you will have to contact the Enforcement Agents directly. You may also wish to contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor for advice.  


Contact: Somerset Parking Partnership
Address: Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY
Phone: 0300 123 2224 

Opening Hours (To speak to an advisor about a Penalty Charge Notice or a parking permit): Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday close

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »