Somerset County Council

Report a blocked drain on the road


For up to date information about floods affecting roads in Somerset, please visit the Travel Somerset website.  

You can report a blocked drain using the button below.

Please note - if you are reporting this defect outside normal working hours - 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday  - and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.

Report now 

When you contact us to report a blocked drain, please provide the following information:

  • Your name and phone number, in case we need to contact you 
  • Where the drain is, including the road name and area 
  • If it is outside a specific property  

We will come to inspect the site by the end of the next working day, if possible.

If a drain is overflowing and the water is very smelly, it is probably sewage. This needs to be dealt with by whoever is responsible for the sewer. This may be the owner of the property or Wessex Water if it is a main sewer.

Wessex Water Leakstoppers 0800 692 0 692

Wessex Water Emergencies 0345 600 4 600

If the sewage is coming from a connection to the main sewer or from a cesspit or septic tank, the property owner is responsible and will probably need to contact a plumber or a specialist.

Planned maintenance
We operate a planned maintenance programme for cleaning highway surface water drains on all the roads we maintain. 

How often we do this depends on where they are (the classification of the road) and the relative risk of flooding.  

  • Gullies in flood susceptible areas will be cleaned every year
  • Gullies in rural non-flood susceptible areas (outside a 30mph or 40mph speed limit) will be cleaned every two years
  • Gullies in urban non-flood susceptible areas (inside a 30 or 40mph speed limit) will be cleaned every four years  

The planned programme is reviewed and adjusted each year to respond to the changing nature of risk and flooding on the county’s road network. 

Where defects or flooding are identified, outside the planned gully cleansing routine, these will be dealt with as necessary.


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224

Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »