Somerset County Council

Report a damaged road gully, manhole or drain cover


You can report any of the following defects here. 

Gully grating

  • missing 
  • broken or dislodged 
  • incorrect type 

Manhole and drain covers

  • missing  
  • broken or dislodged  
  • level of the cover is raised 
  • cover has a slippery, polished or smooth surface

Please note - if you are reporting this defect outside normal working hours - 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday  - and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.

Report now  

When you contact us please give us the following information:

  • Your name and phone number, in case we need to contact you  
  • Where the gully grating, drain or manhole cover is, including the road name and parish  
  • If it is outside a specific property  
  • Who the cover belong to, for example British Telecom, British Gas, a water authority or electricity company  

We will come to inspect the site by the end of the next working day, if possible.

If the manhole is owned by a utility company we will request that they fix the problem within 7 days. Or, you can contact them directly to report a defect.

We regularly inspect gully gratings, drains or manhole covers in accordance with our Highway Safety Inspection Manual.


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224

Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »