Somerset County Council

Report a problem on a pavement or cycle path


We are responsible for maintaining the highway, including pavements and footways. Trip hazards on pavements are a key concern at all times, while weeds, standing water and ice are more seasonal.

You can report problems with highway kerbs, cycleways and footways here.

Please note - if you are reporting this defect outside normal working hours - Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm  - and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.

Report now 

When you contact us please give us the following information:

  • Your name and phone number, in case we need to contact you
  • Where the problem is, including the road name and town or village
  • Why you are reporting it  

When you report a defect about a footway or cyclepath we will inspect it within 3 working days. The repair response time will depend on the type of defect you have reported and where it is. Repair will be in accordance with our Somerset Highway Safety Inspection Manual. 

When we decide on priorities for maintaining footways we make sure that opportunities are taken to help social inclusion, particularly improving accessibility for older and disabled people, and people using prams and pushchairs.

This includes providing dropped kerbs in suitable locations and textured paving near crossing points.

General information

We promote walking and cycling as an alternative to using transport by providing a safe and convenient network of footways and cycleways of satisfactory appearance to encourage increased public use.

Manhole covers
Please contact us to report a manhole cover that is broken, collapsing, missing, very low or protruding above road level that might be dangerous to highway users. We will assess the cover and arrange appropriate remedial work.

It is useful to know who the owner of the cover is (for example, phone, gas or water), as it can speed up the process of repair or replacement. If the manhole is owned by a utility company, we will request that they fix the problem within 7 days. Or, you can phone the utility company directly to report a defect. 


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224

Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »