Somerset County Council

Report flooding or mud on the road


For up to date information about floods affecting roads in Somerset, please visit the Travel Somerset website.  

You can report flooding, surface water and soil run-off on the highway here.

Please note - if you are reporting this defect outside normal working hours - Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm - and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.

Please phone reports of mud on 'A' class roads (for example A38) straight to the police on 101. 

Report now

When you contact us, please give us the following information:

  • Your name and phone number 
  • Where the flooding or mud is 
  • Whether it is outside a specific property or address 
  • If it's mud, do you know who put it there, for example,  the landowner or a company name? 

We maintain the highway network in a safe and accessible condition for highway users by: 

  • Preventing, wherever possible, mud being brought on to the highway 
  • Minimising the problems with related flooding and surface water drainage systems serving the highway 

In Somerset we expect some mud on roads, particularly in areas where farming is a major activity. But it is an offence to leave mud and other material on the road, and people who do so may be liable to prosecution and for the cost of cleaning it up. 

If mud constitutes a danger or obstruction, action may be required to have it removed. Whether any action is taken will depend on how much and where the mud is.


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224

Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »