Somerset County Council

Apply for a concessionary bus pass


Who can apply?
How do I apply?
What happens next?
How do I use it?
How long does it take?
How much does it cost?

English National Concessionary Travel Scheme passes are available for Somerset residents who are of pensionable age or eligible on the grounds of disability. The pass allows you to travel free on buses in every area of England subject to certain time restrictions.

Who can apply? 
Residents who have their sole or principal residence in Somerset and are of pensionable age, or residents who are disabled or cannot drive for medical reasons are entitled to a concessionary bus pass.

If you were born before 5 April 1950 you are eligible from your 60th birthday.

If you were born after 5 April 1950, the age of eligibility for women will be pension age and for men the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. From April 2010 the Government has been gradually increasing the state pension age for women from 60 to 65 by November 2018. From December 2018 the State Pension age for both men and women will start to increase to reach 66 by October 2020.

If you are unsure on what date you will become entitled to your concessionary bus pass, please use the State Pension age calculator (see Information and Resources).  Please indicate as female regardless of whether you are male or female. Or, please use the age entitlement ready reckoner in the Information and Resources section of this page, or contact us and we will check for you.

You could be entitled to concessionary bus travel if you

  • are blind or partially sighted

  • are profoundly or severely deaf

  • are without speech

  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk

  • do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms

  • have a learning disability or

  • have applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, but your application was turned down because of section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) but not if it was because of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

For more information about concessionary bus travel eligibility please see our 
Concessionary bus pass information leaflet.  Please read this leaflet before you use the application form.

How do I apply?
To apply for a concessionary bus pass please download and complete an application form here or contact us for a printed copy. You will need to complete the application form and send it to us with a recent low gloss colour passport size and style photograph (see Information and Resources for Passport photograph guidance) and proof of your age and any disability. You will also need to send us proof of your home address (see examples below). Where possible, please send photocopies of your documents as we cannot accept any responsibility for loss of documents in the post. We will return any original documents to you after we have processed your application if you ask us to.

Documentation for proof of age could be one of the following:

  • Passport

  • Driving licence

  • Medical card

  • Birth certificate

  • Department for Work and Pensions pension book or pink card

Documentation for proof of disability could be one of the following:

  • Department for Work and Pensions Disability Living Allowance award letter which gives details of your award for mobility and care components.

  • Department for Work and Pensions Personal Independence Payment Statement of Entitlement, which gives details of your points awarded for Mobility Activities Moving around activity and Planning and Following Journeys' activity.

  • Department for Work and Pensions Attendance Allowance.

  • Letter from Social Services.

  • Letter from a medical professional on official headed paper that gives details of your disability and how it affects you carrying out normal day to day activities.

Documentation for proof of home address could be one of the following:

  • Council Tax bill
  • Utility bill
  • Electoral registration
  • Bank statement
  • TV licence
  • Landline phone bill
  • Driving licence
  • NHS medical card

What happens next?
Your bus pass application will be assessed and verified and then the pass will be sent directly to your home address from a central dispatch point.

How do I use it?
You should present your bus pass to the driver of the bus for free travel on local bus services only.

The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme pass is valid from 9.30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and anytime on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.

You can use your bus pass for journeys which start and/or finish in England.

Your pass will not be valid on:

  • Taunton Park and Ride services

  • Berry's Superfast services

  • National Express services

  • Rail services

If you are a Somerset resident your pass is also valid on SLINKY services. You can find a link to our SLINKY and community based transport page in the Related services section. 

London is still using the Oyster Card System so English National Concessionary Travel Passes issued outside of London may not read on the Oyster Card machines. Therefore, to gain free travel in London you will need to show the driver the pass instead of presenting it to the card machine.

Your pass is valid until the date printed on it. 

How long does it take?
We aim to process your application within 10 working days, providing all the details are correct.

How much does it cost?
The bus pass is free; however there may be an administration charge for replacing a valid pass if it has been lost, stolen or damaged.


We will only send out renewal reminder letters to people who have a pass on disability grounds or a pass that has been issued with a companion element. All other passes will be renewed automatically. Please make sure you keep us informed of your current address. If you fail to do so you could be charged for a replacement. 

You can find more information about renewals and update your address details on our
Update concessionary bus pass details page.


Contact: Transporting Somerset
Address: PPC302, Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Contact no: 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm, Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »