Somerset County Council

Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO)


Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO) are legal documents to allow the police or local authorities to enforce road restrictions. 

They are used to:

  • help traffic flow
  • control or direct traffic 
  • improve the safety of road users
  • preserve or improve the character or amenity of an area
  • prevent serious damage to roads and bridges  

Examples include speed limits, parking restrictions (single and double yellow lines), weight restrictions, one way streets, no right or left turns and loading bays.

You can find a list of proposed, current and temporary orders in the table below. 

Title of TRO Consultation objection periodOrder start dateType of order Proposed, current or temporary
Sedgemoor Order 2012 Amendment 11...  Restriction of Stopping, Waiting,...Proposed
B3139 Worth, Yarley, Henton and... 03/08/2018Correction orderCurrent
Taunton Deane - Amendment 202/8/2018 to 23/8/2018 Prohibition and reatriction of...Proposed
Crewkerne Fair 06/09/2018Temporary traffic restrictionsProposed
Gigaclear Order - Taunton Deane 08/08/2018Gigaclear OrderProposed
Sedgemoor Amendment Order No.10 - Clare... 07/08/2018 Proposed
Charlton Horethorne  11/05/2018Speed Restrictions CorrectionCurrent
Durleigh Road, Bridgwater 14/08/2018Temporary prohibition of vehiclesTemporary
Rhode Lane, Bridgwater31/7/2018 to 20/8/2018 Relocate round top road humpProposed
Taunton Deane - amendment 1926/7/2018 to 16/8/2018 Prohibition and restriction of...Proposed

Our TROs are listed according to what stage they have reached. The stages are:

  • Proposed - TROs at this stage are advertised for consultation. Use the button below to send us any comments about a proposed order.     

Feedback on a proposed order  

  • Current Orders - TROs at this stage have been brought into force and all the appropriate signs and lines have been put in place.   
  • Temporary Orders (TTRO) – We put TTRO in place when it is necessary to temporarily stop or limit vehicle or pedestrian traffic along the road.  

Contact us if you would like us to consider making a Traffic Regulation Order.

Making a Traffic Regulation Order
When you contact us we follow a statutory procedure to produce a formal Traffic Regulation Order. Consultation with local councillors, parish councils, the emergency services, and other specialist groups must take place when appropriate. Local interest groups such as residents, traders and community groups may also be consulted. 

A proposed TRO is advertised in the local press and notices are displayed on the roads that are affected. Copies of the notice may also be delivered to premises likely to be affected. The notice can be viewed at a nominated council office during working hours and for at least 21 days from the start of the notice period.

Objections to the notice must be made in writing to the address specified on the notice within the 21 day period. Contentious issues are then considered by local councillors. When considering the objections councillors may decide to:

  • allow the TRO to proceed as advertised 
  • modify the TRO to take into account the objections 
  • or abandon the TRO 

The order may be formally sealed once all standing objections have been considered. Modifications to the proposals resulting from objections could require further consultation. TROs and the legal process involved can take many months to complete and legal fees are quite large.

Making a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order
Temporary Orders may be introduced which require a slightly different process and give people an opportunity to give their views. Temporary Orders are used when works affecting the road require short-term traffic restrictions. These usually last no more than eighteen months before they are abandoned, amended, or made permanent. 

You can find guidance notes and apply for a Temporary Traffic Restriction using the link in the Information and resources section of this page.


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »