Somerset County Council

Report a damaged traffic sign or bollard


We maintain and repair road signs and bollards to national standards, to provide safe access for all road users. 

You can report road signs or non-illuminated bollards which need cleaning, repair or replacement here.

Please note - if you are reporting this defect outside normal working hours (Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm) and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.

Report now

When you contact us please give us the following information:

  • Your name and phone number, in case we need to contact you 
  • Where the sign or bollard is, including the road name 
  • If possible, the number on the sign or bollard 
  • Whether the problem is outside a specific property   

We will prioritise what we do depending on how severe the defect is and where it is.

Problems with road signs can include:

  • Missing sign plates
  • Plates turned around or slipped on the post
  • Signs obscured by hedges
  • Trees or dirt obscuring signs on A and B roads  

We operate an emergency call out service for illuminated signs and bollards.

To report a problem with an illuminated road sign or bollard please phone our Streetlight Fault Line, on 0845 601 0939.  

Our contractor must make sure that the number of faulty illuminated signs and bollards stays below 2% each month. Over the past two years a level of around 1% has been achieved. 

Removable bollards 
Your local area highways office holds keys to removable bollards in their respective area. See the contacts information below for details. 


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224

Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »