Somerset County Council

Apply for skip licence


The application for a skip permit must only be completed by the appointed contractor.

All applicants must complete the ‘Declaration’ section of the form before submitting an application.

We only issue licences for skips on the highway to accredited contractors. 

You can apply for a skip licence or extension using the buttons below.

Apply for a skip licence

Apply for a skip extension

Contractors can also apply to the local area highways office for an application form giving us 10 days notice, by either:

  • Downloading a copy of the application form and sending or taking the completed form to the local area highways office (please see the Information and resources section for the Skip Permit Application Form); 

  • contacting us by phone or

  • Visiting the local area highways office and completing the form there. 

How much does it cost?

A skip licence costs £65. Cheques should be made payable to Somerset County Council. 

Permission once granted will be valid for 28 days. 

For longer periods than 28 days an extension application is necessary and a further fee of £65 is required. To renew an existing skip licence, please contact us. This must be done at least a week before the current licence is due to expire. Please tell us your current permit number on the form..

For contractors - there is a fee of £28 for any additional site visits required to inspect a skip that does not comply with the conditions of the licence.

Please note that, in order for us to comply with new legislation introduced in the Traffic Management Act 2004, the notice period for applications has been extended to 10 working days. Please always contact us if you have an emergency application where you are unable to give the full notice, as these will always be considered.


Contact: Roads and Transport Team
Phone: 0300 123 2224
Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

If there is an urgent problem outside these hours and it is a risk to public safety please phone the police on 101.

If you need to visit a highway area office you can find the address of your local office here.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »