The Economy Group has a significant role to play in the delivery of the County Plan, especially around the Council’s main priorities of looking after vulnerable people, reducing inequalities, increasing access to employment and skills, boosting the economy and creating jobs and wealth in whatever ways we can.
We commission outside agencies to deliver programmes and projects, as well as working in partnership with public and private sector bodies to achieve our aims.
We are taking the lead on a number of flagship projects including
- the development and commissioning of a superfast broadband programme covering Somerset, North Somerset and Devon
- the development of business incubation centres and workspaces in the county
- Future Jobs Fund Somerset Programme
- supporting the inward investment body ‘Into Somerset’
- working with EDF Energy to maximise the benefits to Somerset from the planned development at Hinkley Point C
If you have any questions about these projects and services, please contact us.
We collate and analyse economic evidence to inform policy decisions across the county. Our main publication is the Somerset Economic Assessment, which provides an economic assessment of the area and identifies key trends.
We also produce Economic Factsheets on a range of topics, which are updated quarterly or annually, and an Economic Dashboard which shows the key economic indicators for Somerset.
If you have any questions regarding economic statistics for Somerset, please email us