Businesses in Somerset can apply for a carbon reduction grant of between £500 and £1,000 to help improve their carbon footprint. The grant is being made available by the five councils in Somerset as part of the Climate Emergency Strategy
Collectively, our businesses all contribute to Somerset’s carbon emissions, so every business can play a part in helping reduce our overall use of energy, reducing carbon emissions and the carbon footprint of Somerset.
To help meet our goals, we are asking businesses across Somerset to consider how they can reduce their use of energy. Some actions can easily produce results -for example, replacing conventional lighting with low energy lighting, while others require planning – like introducing a workforce car-share initiative. Some businesses may wish to implement a programme of actions to help reduce their carbon emissions.
To enable businesses to explore all the possibilities, we have produced a Carbon Audit Toolkit for Businesses which details websites that offer help and advice from a variety of agencies and sources.
Benefits for your business
Cutting carbon emissions offers benefits to our businesses as well as to the environment. These include:
- Reduced energy bills and exposure to future energy price rises
- Improved cash flow
- Increased profitability, productivity and competitiveness
- Improved green credentials, which helps to attract and retain the right quality of staff
- The ability to win new contracts, especially with the public sector
- A more comfortable working environment and improvements to air quality
- Contributing to a reduced carbon footprint for Somerset and wider benefits to society
Carbon Reduction for Business Grant Scheme
Grants of between £500 and £1000 are available to any Somerset businesses wishing to introduce and implement carbon reduction measures to their business. The grant must be ‘match funded’ by the business applying for the grant on a 50:50 basis.
Applications will be accepted until March 31 2021, but the number of grants available under this scheme is limited and the scheme will cease when that limit is reached.
Who can apply
Grant applications are permitted from;
- Small, medium and large business including unincorporated businesses – for example, partnerships, societies, clubs, sole traders
- Any business based within the administrative county of Somerset can apply
Guidelines have been produced about who can apply for a grant, what sort of projects might qualify and what assistance can be applied for.
How to apply
To be considered for a grant please complete this application form by the end of March 2021.