Local community groups
A number of community groups are emerging on Facebook/WhatsApp which are trying to coordinate activities locally.
- Covid-19 Mutual Aid UK has started to compile a list of local groups set up on social media sites such as Facebook or WhatsApp in an effort to share learning, resources and support. You can find out what groups are in your area, or to register a group
- Also check with your local parish and town council or via social media to see if there is already a group operating in your area before starting a new group.
- The Community Council for Somerset (community/village agents) are already working in communities with different groups and individuals to make sure the vulnerable are identified and supported. Find local village agent details
- Spark Somerset have launched Corona Helpers. If your group is coordinating community support in response to COVID-19, you can use Corona Helpers to promote your work and recruit and manage new volunteers. You can sign up here
Spark Somerset have also published a COVID-19 page on their website, where they share latest information, useful resources and best practice guidance. If you’ve recently set up a COVID-19 support group or are thinking of doing so, then there are some things you’ll need to consider which are included on the page.
- Citizens Advice in Somerset have closed their face to face services (including outreach) and increased capacity on their phones and email services. Clients can visit their respective websites for full details of their options or phone their advice line on 03444 889 623.
- Mindline is an out of hours helpline in Somerset that is a confidential listening service providing a safe place to talk if you, or someone you know, is in distress. We can also give basic information about mental health and local services. Find out more or phone 01823 276 892 (lines currently open 8pm to 11pm)
Somerset Local Authorities’ Civil Contingencies Partnership – Emergency Response and Recovery Policy – Emergency Donations
If you haven’t found what you need, or need more support please phone us on 0300 123 2224