What we are doing
In Somerset we have our own contact tracing service to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 and help our residents keep themselves and others safe.
The national NHS Test and Trace Service will contact you if you have tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19) to give advice and get details of anyone you’ve been in contact with. The national service makes sure that anyone who develops symptoms of COVID-19 can be tested quickly. It will also help trace close recent contacts of anyone who tests positive for coronavirus and if necessary, notify them to self-isolate at home to help stop the spread of the virus.
If the NHS Test and Trace Service have been unable to contact you within 24 hours, your case will be passed to our Test and Trace Team who will contact you. You will be asked where you’ve been recently and who you’ve been in close contact with. This will help the NHS contact anyone who may have caught the virus from you.
Our Test and Trace Team work Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm.
How we will contact you
You will be contacted by phone. If you have concerns about our call, please phone us back on:
Parents of children under 18 will be contacted by phone wherever possible. But if we contact children under 18 we will ask for their parent or guardian’s permission to continue the call.
What we will ask you
We will ask you for the following information:
- Your name, date of birth and postcode.
- If you live with other people.
- Any places you’ve been recently, such as a workplace or school.
- Names and contact details of any people you were in close contact within the 48 hours before your symptoms started (if you know these details).
Our Test and Trace Service will not ask:
- for bank details or payments
- for details of any other accounts, such as social media
- you to set up a password or PIN number over the phone
- you to call a premium rate number, such as those starting 09 or 087
How your information will be used
All information you provide to our Test and Trace Service is confidential. Anyone you’ve been in close contact with during your infectious period will be told to stay at home (self-isolate) for 10 days by the NHS. This is because it can take up to 10 days for coronavirus symptoms to appear.
No one who is contacted as one of your close contacts in the infectious period will be told your identity.
Test and Trace Support Payment
The NHS Test and Trace Support Payment scheme is now open for eligible Somerset residents if you are told to self-isolate after testing positive for Coronavirus or are contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service and cannot work from home.
The £500 payment will be administered by your local District Council – Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, and South Somerset, so please use the links below for more information and to fill in your application form.
Applications opened on Monday 12 October 2020 and backdated applications from 28 September 2020 will be accepted and will be paid where the qualifying conditions are met.
Who can get the Test and Trace Support Payment?
The payment will total £500 for those who qualify. These are the criteria under which you can apply.
- You must have been asked by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020
- You must be employed or self-employed
- You must not be able to carry out your work from home during the period of self-isolation, resulting in a loss of income
- You must be in receipt of one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit
You can find out more and apply on your local District Council website:
NHS Test and Trace: what to do if you are contacted – An overview of NHS Test and Trace, including what happens if you test positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or have had close contact with someone who has tested positive.
Help the NHS alert your close contacts if you test positive for coronavirus
Getting tested – Information on how to get a test, exposure to COVID-19, symptoms and isolation periods
Age UK – Information on test and trace
GOV.UK – Guidance for contacts of people with confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection who do not live with the person
NHS Test and Trace app – Download this app to help control the spread of coronavirus and protect yourself and others.
If you are self-isolating and need help to receive food shopping or medication, please contact us to request support.
CCS Village and Community Agents provide confidential, practical community-based solutions for you, wherever you are in Somerset.