Information and guidance
Please continue to keep the local authority informed of your opening plans by using the Early years returns. Your Early years link worker will email reminders to complete this.
Please make sure you keep up to date with government guidance including the guidance issued by Public Health England on the management of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) contingency framework for education and childcare settings – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- To notify Somerset Public Health of a positive COVID-19 case, please use the online Notification Form found on this Support Services for Education webpage.
- Childminders – The DfE has published a new Q&A document to clarify changes to isolation rules effective from 16 August 2021
- Childminders please note If someone in your household has one of the main symptoms of COVID-19, or a positive test, you cannot continue to care for children in your home. You can access the latest advice on COVID symptoms and isolation information at Coronavirus (COVID-19) – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- To help keep early years settings informed on what Step 4 changes mean for you, the DfE has recorded a webinar which provides information on the key changes to COVID-19 measures.
- Management of COVID in early years children – Actions for parents and carers
- COVID-19 early outbreak management – early years settings
- Guidance – Actions for early years and childcare providers during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
- Guidance – What parents and carers need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
- Guidance for Early Years Settings – COVID-19 Operating Procedures
- Coronavirus Useful links for reopening
- Coronavirus Risk Assessment
- Transition back to settings
The Educational Psychology Service is offering an individual training opportunity for all staff working in early years settings, and schools to support children and young people as they return following the COVID-19 restrictions.
The session is approximately 90 minutes long and is accessed through YouTube It includes several short activities and opportunities for reflection within in it.
Where to find information
Watch back our Spring Term Provider Information Evening for updates: https://tinyurl.com/ProviderEvening
Education Psychology Service Helpline – Phone support for parents and carers.
Department for Education helpline: 0800 046 8687 – Opening hours: 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday
Latest Department for Education information
Business and financial support
You can find Coronavirus (COVID-19): financial support for education, early years and children’s social care guidance on www.gov.uk. Please note sector specific guidance for early years.
The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme has been extended to 30 September 2021.
Useful Guidance on sources of financial support – PACEY
See the web links for sources of financial support including for the Self-Employed
Latest information and advice for businesses
Guidance, advice, support packages and information are being released and updated on a daily basis for businesses and the self-employed. For current details please visit the COVID 19 web pages on Heart of the South West Growth Hub.
Responsibilities to staff when closed
Please adhere to employment regulations and liaise with childcare’s insurance (legal team)
Useful Guidance on Coronavirus – advice for employers and employees – ACAS
COVID-19 Hardship Grant
If your setting is experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 then you can apply for up to £10,000 using the COVID-19 EY Hardship fund. Your link worker can send you the application form and accompanying guidance documents. Please note that the hardship fund is available to all settings including childminders and wrap around care providers. If your setting is experiencing financial hardship due to a drop in income because of reduced numbers of funded children or fee paying children then you can apply.
*Please note that this is subject to financial scrutiny and a successful application process. The deadlines for returning grant applications are below.
- 23 April 2021
- 25 June 2021
- 24 September 2021
- 26 November 2021
- 21 January 2022
- 25 February 2022
Please email your application to EarlyYearsTeam@somerset.gov.uk in good time for consideration by the grants panel.
Advice for staff, parents and children
Please adhere to government guidance and follow the NHS advice
Wellbeing – Every Mind Matters
Test and Trace Support Payment
Parents and carers of children who have been advised to self-isolate by their education setting or by NHS Test and Trace are able to apply for a support payment or discretionary payment of £500, if they meet the eligibility criteria from their District Council. Find out more – Claiming financial support under the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Winter Readiness Toolkit
The Winter Readiness Toolkit is designed to help settings with planning and preparation for winter infections. It includes a link to the “Spotty Book 2021” produced by Public Health England SW Health Protection Team. This serves as a practical guide to recognising and managing common infectious disease and out breaks.
Resources for talking to children about COVID-19
Holiday clubs and out of school settings
|Ansford/Wincanton||Mikaela Jaunceyfirstname.lastname@example.org||07811 309957|
|Chard, Crewkerne and Ilminster||Wendy Toyemail@example.com||07811 310510|
|Frome and Shepton Mallet||Karen Fosterfirstname.lastname@example.org||07811 310486|
|Huish Episcopi||Wendy Toyemail@example.com||07811 310510|
|Street and Glastonbury||Kiri Gibsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||07811 310515|
|Street and Glastonbury||Karen Fosteremail@example.com||07811 310486|
|Yeovil, Stoke Sub Hamdon||Mikaela Jaunceyfirstname.lastname@example.org||07811 309957|
|Bridgwater||Kiri Gibsonemail@example.com||07811 310515|
|Bridgwater||Karen Marshfirstname.lastname@example.org||07811 308382|
|Burnham & Cheddar||Karen Marshemail@example.com||07811 308382|
|Taunton||Sarah Stentfirstname.lastname@example.org||07890 581139|
|Wellington and Wiveliscombe||Jo McDonoughemail@example.com||07919 540560|
|West Somerset||Jo McDonoughfirstname.lastname@example.org||07919 540560|