What it covers
- Substance misuse, domestic abuse, adult mental health workers and children’s social workers will join together to form one team working with families.
- Family Safeguarding will focus on working to develop parents’ strengths to positively change their behaviour and relationships and improve their children’s lives.
Here’s a short video which provides an overview of Family Safeguarding.
How it will help
- Assisting parents to change so more children can stay at home with their birth family and thrive, not just survive.
- Reducing the number of children being taken into care, lessening long term trauma for children.
- Working with parents to reduce the number of those struggling with alcohol, drug, domestic abuse and mental health problems.
- It’s preventative. Evidence in other areas has over time seen reduced numbers of police call outs, hospital admissions and attendances.
- Improving lives faster.
- Following Ofsted best practice to work in partnership with other agencies to improve services for vulnerable families.
- Working as part of a specialist team helps practitioners to feel more confident, valued and supported.
For more information email us at FamilySafeguarding1@somerset.gov.uk