Our feedback from applicants tells us that the quality of supervision continues to be a deciding factor in choosing the right place to work. Somerset County Council operates a shared agenda so everyone is working to the same goals and objectives. We offer balanced operational content as well as emotional support. Our managers are well equipped to offer supervision and support in a private and uninterrupted setting to ensure everyone has access to the time and support they need. We place service users and carers at the centre of our practice and ensure that all employees have the ability to do their jobs as well as the opportunity to reflect, question and evaluate practice. We want to support you to be the best you can be in your role and will go the extra mile for our dedicated team.
Mindfulness training is delivered throughout the service and has been quoted as a factor in helping people to cope with work related stress, managing time better and an increase in the morale of each team. We want to support you to have the time to reflect and ensure that your work life balance enables you to enjoy your role and your home life.
Here at SCC we have developed new engagement programmes throughout the service to support our employees with any issues they have or just give them a safe place to talk and offload. These groups are run regionally and are confidential listening groups led by CSWs and PSW
We spoke to some of our newest Social Workers and asked them what was best about working in/for Somerset as a social worker, below are some of their responses;
• “It’s so green!” Somerset has an eclectic mix of towns, villages and beautiful Countryside, we are also connected throughout by the M5 making the Cities of Bristol and Exeter easy to reach
• “Strong team ethic” We only like to recruit the best, we want you to be supported in your team by your team as well as have the ability to support others
• “Relocation allowance really helped” We offer up to £8,000 relocation allowance to make that transition much easier for you
• “Came as a student, then ASYE and have progressed through QSW to ESW; looking forward to the future of my career” We want to make sure we support you to reach your career goals through training and one to one support
• “Protected supervision time” We believe in the importance of giving you time to do your job
• “Always so much going on in the service” We are on a journey of improvement, we want your ideas and input to make the service you work for even better
• “Manageable caseload and great line management support” We strive to keep your case loads low and manageable allowing you time to do your job to the best of your ability
• “Well supported by managers or CSW in complex cases” We have specially trained people in each team to support with especially complex cases, you are never on your own
SCC are on a journey
We want to make Somerset the best place to live and work, we want to ensure the support we are providing to our service users is second to none and as part of that we need you! We have come from difficult times but the investments have been made and continue to be so to enable all of our teams across the County to have the best opportunities both within their career but also to ensure you have the skills to support the service users and feel confident in the decisions you are making. We offer great support and training opportunities as well as a the opportunity to work with some of the people that we believe are the best in the field.
Vision for the future
In 2016 we developed the Childrens and Young People Plan, we are working towards this and have set ourselves ambitious but achievable targets to ensure the Somerset Service continues to go from strength to strength
We want to recruit new people to our service to add fresh ideas and new approaches to develop the service but are also keen to invest in our current workforce who are already delivering a great service, we want you to join us but we also want you to stay. We have introduced many great initiatives to support in both practice and recruitment. We supply all our social workers with up to date IT enabling you to be connected when out on the road. As a permanent Social worker you will also have access to the local government pension scheme, relocation allowance as well as generous staff benefits including shopping discounts and car scheme.
As a social worker you entered in to the profession to help our most vulnerable members of our communities, but you will agree that it is a challenging profession; we believe your remuneration package should reflect this. Find out more on our working page.
• Highly competitive salary and pension
• Great relocation package available of up to £8k
• Generous holiday with the opportunity to purchase more
• Staff car scheme; discounts, salary sacrifice
• Staff Discount Scheme for shopping, travel and more!
• Subsidised professional memberships
•Discounted gym and sports memberships
• Pastoral and health support with Care First