Access free online digital skills courses, including introductory lessons for people who have never used the internet or who need to learn basic computer skills. They are available at our UK Online Centres, part of a network of over 6000 centres across the country helping to get people online. If you’ve never used a mouse before, or want to understand online banking or social media, this is perfect for you.
Transparent Language Online for Somerset Libraries members
Transparent Language Online offers Somerset Libraries members the chance to learn over 110 different languages for free! Suitable for everyone to complete, from beginners to those wanting to improve their language skills.
Transparent Language Online offers a wide range of learning tools suitable for both adults and children including child-specific courses – ‘KidSpeak’.
• It’s completely free – no hidden costs, no subscriptions, no premium options.
• Remote Access – you can learn from anywhere, in the library, at home or even on your smartphone.
• Learn at your own pace and keep track of your progress in your Learning Path page.
The Learnmyway website offers courses on a wide range of digital skills. Library staff are on hand to support learners through the basic courses, so no need to feel nervous if you are a complete beginner.
For people who want to expand their digital skills, there are more advanced courses available on everything from shopping and banking online to skills for jobseekers. These are not included in the supported sessions, but learners can progress onto any of them free of charge on a library computer. Current courses are listed below.
Using your computer or device
- Using a keyboard
- Using a mouse
- Using a touchscreen
- Using a computer
- Creating documents
- Using the internet
- Using online forms
- Using email
- Using search engines
- Socialising online
- Using Facebook
- Using a digital camera
- Watching and listening online
- Smart internet
- How to be a Digital Champion
- Keeping your device safe
- Being safe online
- Keeping your personal data safe
Finding a job online
- Job hunting online
- National Careers Service website: a how to guide
- Jobs and interviews
Improving your health online
- GP services online: a how to guide
- The NHS website: a how to guide
Managing your money online
- Online and mobile banking
- Make money work
Public online services
- Using public online services
- Universal Credit – a how to guide
Driving Theory Test Pro
Theory Test Pro for Somerset Library members
Theory Test Pro is a highly realistic online simulation of the UK’s driving theory test. It contains the official practice test question bank, hazard perception video clips and an online version of the Highway Code. All this material is licensed from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), the people who set the tests.
- Unlimited Access to all of Your Members – Give access to all of your members easily accessed from your library.
- Remote Access – Give your members remote access from home. They’ll be able to practice 24/7.
- Automatic Upgrades – Forget needing to upgrade the software. We take care of that so you’re always up to date.
Find out how to add this service to your online reference collection.
Free to all members of Somerset Libraries
GoCitizen.co.uk is an online study resource for candidates preparing for the Life in the UK test or British citizenship test.
Online version of the latest official study materials licensed from the Home Office, the people who write the handbook
Hundreds of practice test questions in the same format as the official test
Additional interactive learning resources and teaching aids.