Exmoor pilot map
Exmoor contains a variety of landscapes that provide inspiration and enjoyment to visitors and residents alike. There are large areas of open moorland which provide a sense of remoteness, wildness, and tranquillity, while spectacular coastal views, deep wooded valleys, high sea cliffs and fast flowing streams all combine to form a rich and distinct area within Somerset.
The Exmoor Area pilot
The Exmoor Area pilot focus was on highways and traffic matters. It highlighted how local communities can drive and contribute to highway service delivery to support the development of LCNs. At the same time, the pilot is designed to strengthen service delivery pre and post the new unitary authority.
In September / October 2021, members of the Local Government Reorganisation (LGR) Programme Team spent three days visiting parishes in the Exmoor County electoral division to listen to each of the communities on highway and traffic matters.
The themes (resulting from parish feedback) included:
- Two-way communication – to include an information and coordination role
- Programmes of planned and reactive works (highways and utilities)
- Local tasking of ‘low tech, high value’ minor maintenance works (through the Highway Steward)
- Discretionary budget for local commissioning of works
- Asset information exchange
Exmoor Area pilot film
Want to see the Exmoor pilot in action? You’ll find a short film on the Somerset Council You Tube channel.
Here’s the link:. Local Community Networks (LCNs) Exmoor Area Pilot – YouTube
Withypool and Hawkridge
Dulverton and Exmoor ED