Local Validation Checklist Update

West Area (Former Somerset West and Taunton area) and Mineral and Waste Proposals

We are seeking views on updates to the Local Validation Checklist for the West area and Mineral and Waste proposals. Local Validation Checklists help inform applicants and agents of the type of documents and level of information required to validate a planning application or other similar consents.

We are committed to providing a professional and efficient Development Management service. And this document is part of a suite of documents that will help all potential applicants to prepare their submissions and make sure they can be validated and determined as quickly as possible. Each of the former Planning Authorities in Somerset has in place a Local Validation Checklist. Each of these was adopted at a different time and reflects the Local Plan for that area or specialism.

Whilst a new Local Plan for Somerset is under preparation, we are not yet in a position to have a single Local Validation Checklist for the whole authority area. It is therefore necessary to ensure that the Local Validation Checklists that we do have are compliant with legislation and updated accordingly. Therefore, we are consulting specifically on the Local Validation Checklists for Area West (formerly Somerset West and Taunton) and Mineral and Waste proposals, as these were adopted more than two years ago. Others will be updated in due course.

In line with National Guidance and the council’s adopted Statement of Community Involvement, public consultation is necessary during production of these documents. The outcomes of that consultation need to inform the final document.

The purpose of the consultation is:

  • To seek views from planning applicants, agents, developers and other relevant parties on our proposed documents. And to take these views into account before adopting the final document.
  • To publish for use by planning applicants, agents and developers for the submission of valid planning applications in these areas.
  • To adopt the Local Validation Checklist as a material planning consideration.

The checklists that are being consulted on can be seen on our consultation platform: Local Validation Checklist – Somerset Council – Citizen Space.

The consultation runs for six weeks, from Wednesday 31 January 2024 to Wednesday 13 March 2024.


You can apply for planning permission for mineral related developments, such as mineral extraction and ancillary works, quarries, peat workings and processing plants in Somerset. We monitor the sites regularly and take enforcement action when appropriate.

We recommend using a planning agent if submitting mineral applications, due to the complexity of the information required.

Mineral Developments

Mineral developments include:

  • Extraction of minerals (quarrying)
  • Extraction of peat
  • Erection or installation of plant, machinery and buildings ancillary to mineral operations
  • Review of Mineral Permission (ROMP) applications

Mineral planning applications are not included in the National Planning Application set of forms (1APP).

You can submit a mineral developments application by using the online application forms on the Somerset Planning Portal, or by downloading the Mineral Planning Application Form to submit by post. Guidance on completing a Mineral Planning Application is also given in our Notes For Users.


We encourage you to read our Planning Control Pre-application Advice Protocol before submitting an application. The Protocol sets out the benefits of seeking pre-application advice, what you can expect from us during the process, and what we expect from you. Please contact us to discuss your proposals before submitting an application by phoning us or by completing the online form.

Applications must be accompanied by:

  • a completed certificate under Section 65 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990

and if the owners of the land (or any part of the land) included in the application are not known:

  • a notice under Article 13 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) Order 2015 may also be required. This notice must be published in a local newspaper circulating in the locality in which the application is situated

Contact the team

We deal with planning applications that relate to Minerals and Waste developments.

Our own Council developments, such as Schools, Libraries and Social Services developments and new roads are dealt with by our area planning teams. They are also responsible for other types of development including householder extensions, residential and business developments.

You can find more information on our apply for planning permission page.

Contact: Planning Minerals and Waste Team
Email: planningmineralsandwaste@somerset.gov.uk

Last reviewed: February 22, 2024 by Jenny

Next review due: August 22, 2024

Back to top