If you are reporting this problem outside normal working hours – Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm – and you believe it is an urgent problem and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101.
For up to date information about bad weather affecting roads in Somerset, please visit the Travel Somerset website.
We are responsible for highway winter service in Somerset, except for the M5, A303 and A36. We have a precautionary salting network, which covers key routes across the county.
When you contact us please tell us
- what the problem is
- exactly where the problem is
- your name and address, in case we need to contact you
- whether or not the road is usually salted, if you know
What we can do
- Precautionary salting (on the pre-salting network) when there is a risk of ice or snow
- Clear routes of snow accumulation in priority order
- Keep the public informed, for example, by using twitter
What we can’t do
- Work on the motorway or trunk roads. These are the responsibility of Highways England
- Salt or grit all roads
- Keep roads free of ice and snow all the time