Latest Advice


Community Drop in sessions

There will be a series of four drop-in sessions for people to share their experiences as well as getting help and advice. Find out more here

Get in touch

For advice on how to deal with flooding, phone Floodline on 0345 988 1188
For general enquiries, please send an email to

More information

Flooding update 10 May 2023
Flood Online Reporting Tool
Somerset Prepared

For details of flood warnings, please visit the Environment Agency’s website.

For weather information, please visit the Met Office website.

For information on emergency road closures, please visit Emergency road closure gates.

For up-to-date information about floods and other adverse weather conditions affecting roads in Somerset, please visit our Roads, travel and parking section.

The Flood Online Reporting Tool

If you are flooded or at risk of flooding please tell us how it has impacted your property. All data entered will be reviewed by one of the organisations involved in the project and they will get back to you.

Before you start, remember

  • In an emergency, as always, dial 999 if life is in danger
  • If you require advice on how to deal with flooding please visit Floodline or phone on 0345 988 1188
  • If the flooding only affects a road please use our Report a problem on the road page
  • Taking the time to fill in the form will help with multi-agency flood response, but this will not trigger an immediate response from any agency
  • You will be asked at a later date to provide an update to what happened

You can report flooding now on this external website.

Missed waste collections

You can find details of waste collections that have been missed because of flooding, and what you should do if this has affected you here: Bins, waste and recycling

Transport information

You can find details of public, school and care transport which has been affected by flooding in our Transport section.

Report flooding on roads and pavements

We are responsible for keeping roads and pavements free of flooding that might cause a hazard or an obstruction to road users. We have a duty to keep the road network free from obstruction and safe for all to use.

We are not responsible for preventing flooding to private property; that is the owner’s responsibility, unless the situation is the result of something we have unreasonably done or not done.

You can report flooding on the road here:

When you contact us, please give us the following information:

  • Your name and phone number
  • Where the flooding is
  • Whether it is outside a specific property or address

If you are reporting a problem outside normal working hours and you believe it is urgent and a risk to public safety, please phone the police on 101. Please phone reports of mud on ‘A’ class roads (for example A38) straight to the police on 101.

During severe weather conditions heavy demands are often made on the service, we will investigate reports as soon as resources permit and react according to our findings, involving other organisations where necessary.

If you have already reported a problem, you can check the status of your report using your report reference number here.

Motorways and trunk roads 

To report flooding on the M5 or a major trunk road (A303, A36) please contact Highways England information Line on 0300 123 5000.

Burst pipes 

If the flooding is due to a burst pipe, you should contact your water supplier (the company to whom you pay your water rates). Property owners are responsible for preventing flooding to their properties.

You need to contact us should your premises flood due to something we have unreasonably done or not done.

Water mains 

If a flooded road is caused by a ruptured water main the water company will be responsible for repairing the damage.

Bristol Water Leakline – 0800 801011
Wessex Water Leakstoppers – 0800 692 0 692

Sewer flooding 

Call the Wessex Water Sewage Floodline on 0345 850 5959 (24 hours) in the event that your property is flooded with sewage internally or externally.


If you are concerned that your property could flood, please follow the advice on our Flood prevention and sandbags page.

If you require assistance pumping water out of your property, please contact the Fire Brigade. You should also contact your insurance company as soon as possible to make them aware of the damage to your property.


This is a service provided by the Environment Agency, providing up-to-date flood warnings and advice. Floodline can also provide useful information on purchasing flood protection equipment. They also offer advice and expertise through education and promotion of good practices to farmers.

Roads have features designed to take the water away from the road surface. Exceptional rainfall, a road being in a low-lying area, changes in run off from adjacent fields and rivers overflowing are some situations that can lead to the road flooding or being waterlogged even when drains are in good working order. Puddles tend to occur if there is a depression in the road and can be rectified by local patching of the road surface. The priorities attached to this type of work depend on the urgency of other work and the resources available.
Highway gullies are cleared on an annual cycle or more frequently where appropriate. If there is a likelihood of property being flooded and water on the highway being a hazard, please report it to us.
Highway flooding can cause a hazard and can damage the structure of the road. The main flooding threats are a river rising, a blocked water course, a burst pipe, road water flooding, a blocked drain (gully), ditch or culvert, land surface water flooding off fields or natural spring water flooding.

GOV.UK Flood Information Service website

For current flood warnings in force please phone the 24-hour Floodline on: 0345 988 1188

Flood protection products and services directory

The National Flood Forum has produced a Blue Pages Directory. This is a directory of flood protection products and services put together to help you protect your home or business against flooding. While we cannot endorse any of the products, we are happy to provide the information so that you can make informed choices.

Where there is a risk of flooding to a depth of more than 0.9m, keeping water out can sometimes do more harm than good. The pressure of water against your property may cause structural damage to the building itself.

The National Flood Forum recommends that you visit the Environment Agency website before you buy any flood protection products.

You can also phone Floodline on 0345 988 1188 and ask for copies of their information booklets “Preparing for a Flood”, “During a Flood” and “After a Flood”.


Following the floods of 2007, DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) and the Association of British Insurers have developed information for householders and businesses about insurance in areas that are at risk. There is also information on flood resilient homes and what you can do to reduce flood damage.

Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding or have been flooded.

Food and Health

Flood water is contaminated with sewage and other sources of bacteria and chemicals. Therefore, it is essential that you take precautions to protect yourself such as washing your hands if you come into direct contact with flood water or items that have been in floodwater, and ensuring you clean your property effectively if you have been flooded.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) gives advice on food safety after a flooding incident.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) produces various leaflets on health issues after a flooding incident.

Public Health England have published some frequently asked questions on flooding.

Look after yourself post incident leaflet

General advice

Driving advice

  • Do not drive through deep water. Cars can stall and be washed away
  • Drive at speeds appropriate to the weather conditions, and remember that surface water can cause aquaplaning
  • If you are travelling a long distance, make sure you have clothing, blankets, food and drink in the car in case you are caught up in long delays

Other advice

  • Do not enter moving water. Moving water 18 inches or 45 centimetres deep can knock an adult over.
  • Be aware of the location of drain and manhole covers. Water pressure can lift them out of place leaving a hidden danger.
  • All flood water is potentially contaminated. Do not allow children to play in it and make sure you wash yourself thoroughly if you have been in contact with flood water.
  • Make sure, where possible, that drains and screens are clear of debris to allow water to flow away freely.
  • Do not approach any power cables that have been brought down by the weather. They could be live and therefore dangerous.
  • Check that pets and livestock kept outside can move freely and escape rising water.
  • If you are travelling in remote areas, make sure family or friends know when you are leaving and your expected arrival time.
  • Make sure mobile phones are fully charged – emergency calls are free even if you have no credit.
  • Check to make sure elderly or vulnerable neighbours are safe.
  • Do not put yourself at risk.

Last reviewed: June 5, 2023 by Jenny

Next review due: December 5, 2023

Back to top