About the funding support
The Government is offering financial support to help households, businesses and farmers recover from the flooding caused by Storm Henk between 2 and 12 January 2024.
How and when to apply
To apply you must meet the eligibility criteria. You will also need to have some information to hand to help you complete the online application form:
- Bank details – You will need to upload a copy of a recent bank statement at the time of application. This can be a photo or screenshot but must clearly show your full name, account name, account number and sort code.
- Council Tax or Business Rates reference number – This is not essential but would be helpful so we can speed up the processing of your application.
- Photos of the damage or state of the property – This is not essential but would also be helpful to speed up the processing of your application.
Community Recovery Grant for residential properties
You may be able to get up to £500 to help with immediate costs if your home was flooded internally.
To be eligible for the Community Recovery Grant, flood water must have entered the living areas of your home or made it unliveable for at least 48 hours.
- Access to the property was severely restricted (for example, upper floor flats with no access).
- Key services such as sewerage, draining and electricity were severely affected.
- Flooding has caused significant damage to the property meaning it would be or would have been advisable for you to leave the premises for any period of time, regardless of whether they did vacate or not.
Porches, greenhouses, garages, sheds, outhouses, and gardens will not be considered as eligible for this scheme. This grant is only for your primary home, not for second or empty homes.
To apply, you must meet the eligibility criteria.
You can find the expected timescales in the ‘After you have applied’ section below.
Council Tax discounts
If your home was flooded, you may also be eligible for a 100% discount on your Council Tax for at least 3 months. This is if your property meets the criteria under the Community Recovery Grant above, or longer if you are unable to return to the property.
If you are unable to return home, you may also be eligible for a 100% discount on Council Tax for your temporary accommodation. This is in parallel with the discount on your primary home.
Applications for Council Tax discounts are made using the Community Recovery Grant form. When applying tick the box for Community Recovery Grant and you will also be asked questions applicable to the Council Tax discount. Please do not submit multiple applications.
Business Recovery Grant
If you have a small or medium-sized business affected by the flooding, you may be able to get up to £2500 to help your business recover.
To be eligible, your business must have less than 250 employees and a turnover of less than £42.85M or a balance sheet of less than £36.85M.
Business Rates Discount
You may also be eligible for a 100% discount on your business rates for at least 3 months if your property meets the criteria.
You can apply for the Business Recovery Grant and Business Rate Discount at the same time using the form below.
If you are eligible for both the Business Recovery Grant and Community Recovery Grant, you can also apply for them together with one application using the form below. Just check the boxes for both when you apply. Please do not submit more than one application.
After you have applied
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email confirming that your application is being considered. Applications will be assessed as quickly as possible. If we need to ask you about your application, we will contact you within 10 working days.
If your application is successful, we will aim to:
- Pay eligible Community Recovery and Business Recovery Grants within 10 working days from the date of application (subject to all necessary information being provided). Payment will be made to the account provided at the time of application.
- Process Council Tax and Business Rate relief within 20 working days from the date of application (subject to all necessary information being provided).
- Issue amended council tax/business rates bills to successful applicants as soon as possible. Due to the timing of these payments and annual Council Tax billing, it is possible that you may receive your annual bill before we are able to process your claim.
If your application is not successful, you will be contacted within 10 working days from the date of application.
We will try to process payments as soon as we can within these timeframes, but cannot give you any updates on your application while we are reviewing it.
Please do not contact us until the specified time period is over. If you need to contact us after the specified time period, please email Generalenquiries@somerset.gov.uk and we will get back to you within 3 working days.
Help to apply
If you are unable to apply online yourself or need help, please consider:
- Asking a family member, friend, neighbour or carer to help you complete the online application.
- Visiting one of our Customer Access Points (CAP’s) where you can receive supported digital access to help you apply. There is a Customer Access Point in every library, all our locations can be found here.
Other funding available
Property Flood Resilience Repair Grant Scheme
Eligible flood-hit property owners can apply for up to £5,000 to help make their homes and businesses more resilient to future flooding. This would be over and above normal insurance costs. This is designed to be a longer-term flood resilience measure.
Farming Recovery Fund
The Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) are administering a further grant titled the Farming Recovery Fund. This grant is for farmers affected by the flooding. Applications to this fund will be dealt with by DEFRA.