Don't forget, waste collections will be a day later than usual all this week after the spring bank holiday.
Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.


We understand that you may be making important changes about how you live and need all the best information and help so that the decisions you make are right for you.

Although we have lots of information available to help you, we always recommend that you talk to someone completely independent about money matters, particularly if you are thinking of moving into a care home, and especially if you own a property.

There are many organisations that you can either phone or arrange to visit to talk things through.

Remember, if you get financial advice and they are recommending ways that you should invest or use your money against specific financial products, they must be regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You can check on the Financial Conduct Authority website  to see what this means.

Advice on paying for care

Here are some places you can get independent advice from:

  • The Money Helper website – offers information on paying for care or the option to speak to an online advisor. You can phone them on 0300 500 5000
  • The Society of Later Life Advisers – can help you find advice on how to make financial plans for care in your old age. You can phone them on 0333 2020 454 or use the website to search for a regulated financial advisor in your area
  • Age UK – has a good website with advice for older people and people planning for their later years. You can also phone them on 0800 169 6565
  • Carers UK – has a website resource of advice for carers. You can also phone them on 0808 808 7777

Last reviewed: March 26, 2024 by Helly

Next review due: September 26, 2024

Back to top