Navigate this page
Back to Children, families and education


If your child doesn't live with you, you can apply to see their school record

Disclosure of Information Request

Disclosure of Information Request

If you wish to request information about your child’s educational records, you must contact your child’s school direct.

However, if you do not know which school your child attends and wish to find out, you may, as a parent, request this information from the Local Authority in which your child lives.

For the purposes of education law, a ‘parent’ is considered to be

  • all biological parents, whether they are married or not
  • any person who, although not a biological parent, has parental responsibility for a child or young person – this could be an adoptive parent, a step-parent, guardian or other relative
  • any person who, although not a biological parent and does not have parental responsibility, has care of a child or young person

Proof of identity and proof that you are the parent will be required. This will be in the form of photographic evidence to confirm your identity, for example a photocopy of the last page of your passport showing your name and photograph and a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate or a court order to show that you are the ‘parent’.

Request disclosure

Request disclosure of your child’s school record

This form has 3 pages and will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

The Local Authority will then write to the parent or carer who the child lives with and who has parental responsibility for the child, to confirm if there are court orders in place to prevent the release of this information. Where necessary we will take advice from our information governance and/or legal team.

Last reviewed: May 1, 2024 by Daniel

Next review due: November 1, 2024

Back to top