Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance provides help with extra costs when looking after a child who is under 16 and has difficulties walking, or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability. This benefit can be paid to parents and carers whether or not they are at work.

Please see the GOV.UK website for more information.

Attendance Allowance

Help for people over 65 who are mentally or physically disabled and need help with personal care. Please see the GOV.UK website for more information.

Carers Allowance (CA)

Carer’s Allowance is available to help look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You must be at least 16 years old and spend a minimum of 35 hours a week caring for them.

Carer’s Allowance is taxable. It can also affect your other benefits. It is not available if you’re in full-time education or studying for 21 hours a week or more. There is a limit to the amount you can earn and claim Carer’s Allowance, and the person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Please see the GOV.UK website for more information.

Help and advice on making a claim

You can find information on the benefits you might be entitled to on the Contact – for families with disabled children website

Last reviewed: March 20, 2024 by Jenny

Next review due: September 20, 2024

Back to top