Our free passport to leisure card helps those on low incomes enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle by giving them access to leisure activities within our area at a discounted rate.
The card is valid for one year, but you can apply to have it renewed each year.
Each applicant will need a recent passport sized photograph. Dependent children are eligible and all under 18s will require a photo as well.
Qualifying for a passport
To qualify, you must be a resident of the South Somerset area and receive one of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit
- Employment Support Allowance (Income based)
- Income Support
- Incapacity Benefit
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
- Housing Benefit
- Attendance Allowance
- Council Tax Benefit and Council Tax Support
- Disability Living Allowance
- Industrial Injuries Disablement Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Pension Guarantee Credit
- Carer’s Allowance
- Pensions Savings Credit
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Bereavement Allowance
- Working Tax Credit
- Widowed Parent’s Allowance
The following groups are also eligible to apply, but you will need to provide proof of entitlement as we are unable to verify this ourselves:
- A non-earnings dependant of anyone qualifying for the above benefits if they have their own passport to leisure
- A student aged 16 to 18 in full or part time education
- A referral from the Proactive Scheme who is in receipt of the above benefits or on agreement from the Leisure Centre after completing the course
- A referral from Social Services or other professional (for example, Connexions) due to temporary disability, health or social needs or other illness
- Training for work for example, Apprenticeship Learning, The Work Programme, Pathways to Education Training and Employment Project
- If you are aged 60 or over and in receipt of Pension Credit (A Passport to Leisure card could entitle you to receive a higher level of discount at some of our facilities)
Conditions of use
You must follow these rules when applying or using a passport to leisure:
- All applicants must be a resident of the South Somerset area
- The passport must only be used by the named card holder
- You are responsible for letting us know about any changes to the information provided on your application
- If you cease to qualify for the scheme following a change in your circumstances, the passport must be returned to us as soon as possible
- Discounts must be claimed on arrival at the facility and before payment
- The level of discount and the activities to which the discounts apply are at the discretion of each provider.
Apply for our free passport to leisure card by completing our application form.
Discounts are available at the venues below. Contact them directly for more information.
Goldenstones Leisure Centre – Phone 01935 845888
Octagon Theatre - Phone 01935 422884
Holiday activity programme - Phone 01935 462283
Westlands Sport and Fitness Centre - Phone 01935 314652
Wincanton Sports Centre - Phone 01963 824400
Buckler’s Mead Leisure Centre - Phone 01935 431716
Yeovil Recreation Centre (Children’s Athletics Programme, Golf) - Phone 01935 462616
Chard Leisure Centre – Phone 01460 315007
Help with transport facilities
Community Transport South West Limited provide local transport to members of the public. The areas they cover are Yeovil, Crewkerne, Ilminster, Chard, South Petherton, Langport and Somerton – as well as the surrounding villages.
This scheme offers a wide range of vehicles for both group and individual needs. This includes minibuses, some with disabled access, as well as community cars driven by volunteer drivers.
For more information, phone 01935 477399 during opening hours 9am to 5pm.