Spring Bank Holiday on Monday 27 May means all rubbish and recycling collections will be one day later that week, including Friday collections taking place on Saturday 1 June.
Recycling and rubbish collection days are changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

How to appeal

If you disagree with any decision we make on your Council Tax, you can appeal against it.

You can appeal if you think:

  • you should not be responsible for Council Tax on a property
  • your property should be exempt from Council Tax
  • you disagree with a decision on your Council Tax support
  • the amount you have to pay is incorrect (for example, you think a discount should apply)
  • your property is in the wrong Council Tax band
  • the date we have given on a completion notice is incorrect

If there is an issue with your bill, please phone 0300 123 2224

The Valuation Office Agency has published information explaining the process for challenging a Council Tax band and answering some common questions.

The Valuation Office Agency has also published a blog explaining how it values properties built after the Council Tax valuation date. The blog sets out what evidence the Valuation Office Agency uses when making banding decisions.

If you want to appeal against your council tax band, follow the challenge your Council Tax band guidance on the Gov.uk website.

If you want to appeal about a completion notice because you do not think your property was finished, or could have been finished, by the date the Council has given, contact us. If we can’t agree a new completion date, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. This must be done within four weeks of us sending you the completion notice.

For all other appeals please contact us. We will review the decision and write to tell you the outcome.

If you disagree with our decision

If you still disagree with our decision after a review, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You will need to fill in a Valuation Tribunal Service appeal form which you can download or fill in online.

You must continue paying your Council Tax as shown on your bill while your appeal is being considered.

If you win your appeal and you overpay Council Tax, we will issue a refund.

Appeals to the Valuation Office Agency or Valuation Tribunal Service are free and they cannot award costs against you if you lose. However, you do have to meet your own costs in attending the hearing and will also have to pay if you ask an agent to represent you.

Last reviewed: April 17, 2024 by Ian

Next review due: October 17, 2024

Back to top