Navigate this page
Back to Finance, performance and legal


What we do with your information when you use our Licensing team for Animal Boarding Establishments, Home Boarders, Pet Shops, Riding Establishments, Zoo Licences, Dog Breeding and Dangerous Wild Animals.

Your RightsPrivacy Notice

Your Rights

You have specific rights in relation to the data that you provide to the Council. To find out more, including how to make a request, please see our Information Rights page.

Privacy Notice

Services covered by this privacy notice Environmental Protection


  • Animal Boarding Establishments
  • Home Boarders
  • Pet Shops
  • Riding Establishments
  • Zoo Licences
  • Dog Breeding
  • Dangerous Wild Animals

Purpose of the processing

The personal data you provide is used to enable the council to process licence applications and share that information by maintaining a public access register. The register will contain personal data (such as name and address) and will be available online in the future.

(If you provide personal data of a third party you must ensure that they understand the use of their data and this privacy notice)

Legal basis for processing personal data

Legal obligation
Public Task

Categories of personal data being processed

  • Name (trading name, may also contain personal data)
  • Address (business address, may be your home address)
  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Licence reference numbers
  • Signatures
  • Bank account name, number and sort code
  • Debit/ Credit card information
  • Position held in business

Special categories of personal data being processed (if appropriate) – Not applicable

Legal basis for processing special categories of personal data – Not applicable

Who the data might be shared with

We will share personal data because legislation says we must do so. We may also share personal data with other organisations where they have a legal duty or responsibility to investigate complaints and offences. Data could be shared with the following:

  • The general public – through public access register.
  • Other council departments – where committee papers are produced, as consultees or to assist when they are investigating complaints and offences under other legislation for example investigating breaches of planning law or benefit fraud.
  • Council Members sitting on Licensing Board.
  • Police, Trading Standards, Fire and Rescue Services – to assist in the investigation of complaints or offences.
  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs to assist in the investigation of complaints or offences.
  • Department of Work and Pensions
  • Somerset Council
  • Other Local Authorities
  • HM Courts and Tribunal Service

How long will the data be kept for

6 years from the point the licence is expired, revoked or surrendered.

Last reviewed: January 30, 2024 by Ian

Next review due: July 30, 2024

Back to top