The Data Protection Act 2018 places certain requirements on the way in which the Council handles your personal information. The Act also gives you the right to access personal information that the Council holds about you.
The Act states that any information that we hold about you must be:
- processed fairly and lawfully
- used only for the purposes we tell you about when you give it to us
- accurate, relevant and not excessive
- kept securely and for no longer than necessary
- not shared with anyone else unless you have given your consent, or unless we are required to do so by law
To request your information, please go to our Your rights on the information we hold about you page.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your request you can ask for an internal review to be carried out by the Information Governance Team. If you remain dissatisfied following this review you can appeal to the Information Commissioner, who is responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act.
More information about your rights and the Council’s responsibilities under the Data Protection Act 2018 can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.