Data Controller: Somerset Council – ICO Registration Z5957592
Data Protection Officer Contact – email@example.com
Purpose for processing:
- Administer volunteer agreements and arrangements
- Administer and manage your volunteer placement
- Safeguarding of Somerset Council clients and customers
- Support the delivery of services
- Payment of expenses
Legal basis for processing
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 as amended by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
- Safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children (The Care Act 2014, The Children and Families Act 2014, and The Children’s Act 2004)
- Proof that volunteer is legally able to fulfil the volunteer role (for example, volunteer drivers must have a current driving licence, with no more than 6 points)
- Volunteer Safety and Security (protected as non-employees, under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, whilst undertaking duties under their control, Somerset Council Public Liability Insurance)
- We may be required to give information to legal authorities if requested or if they have the proper authorisation such as a search warrant or court order
Under 16 – If you are under 16 and become a volunteer we must have the consent of your parents or guardian to become a volunteer.
Public task – Where your information is not processed in accordance with the law we will use your personal data in order to deliver a service to you. This includes your profile, providing you with recommendations of volunteering opportunities, and recruitment process and training, depending on the volunteer role you apply for. We will use your email address (where provided) to contact you about changes to our service and important information about your role.
When you enquire about our volunteer services we will process your enquiry, and provide you with the information that you have asked for.
When you apply to become a volunteer for Somerset Council, you willingly enter a voluntary agreement, formed between you and Somerset Council. In order to carry out our obligations under that agreement we must process the information you give us, as set out in the purpose for processing.
Explicit consent – where you have given us your explicit consent, we will use your information in the way that you have asked us to. Such as the provision of a newsletter, or sharing your information with partner organisations to provide you with information about further volunteering opportunities.
Data sharing – your personal data will be shared with relevant Somerset Council Services and partner organisations who you may be supporting.
Transfers abroad – this data will not be transferred abroad.
Data retention – this data will be retained for 100 years from the date of birth of the volunteer, in accordance with UK law, regulations and specific requirements of the service being provided. If your role is supporting children or vulnerable adults it may then be held to meet any additional or specific requirements resulting from the IICSA Enquiry. Information held about unsuccessful applicants will be destroyed 12 months after the date of last contact.
Your rights – you have the right to ask Somerset Council for a copy of your data, the right to rectify or erase your personal data, and the right to object to processing. However, these rights are only applicable if the council has no other legal obligation concerning that data.
You also have the right to complain to the regulator – Information Commissioner’s Office (IOC).
Consequences – if you do not supply this information to us, we will not be able to place you into a volunteer role.