What we do with the information you give us when you use our Council Tax or Business Rates Team.
You have specific rights in relation to the data that you provide to the Council. To find out more, including how to make a request, please see our Information Rights page.
Services covered by this privacy notice – Revenues
Purpose of the Processing: The personal data you provide is processed to enable the billing, collection and recovery of Council Tax and Business Rates. This includes managing customer contact and to facilitate debt recovery and prosecutions for non-payment. Mobile phone numbers may be processed to send payment reminders by text message.
Legal Basis for Processing:
- Personal Data Legal Obligation
- Public task
Categories of Personal Data being Processed
- Email address
- Phone number
- Financial information
- Payment details
- Family composition
- Employment details
Special Categories of Personal Data being Processed (if appropriate): Health (mental or physical)
Legal Basis for Processing Special Categories of Personal Data: Substantial Public Interest
Who the data might be shared with
- Capita (as Data Processor)
- Other Council Departments
- Other Local Authorities
- Central Government
- Enforcement Agents
- County and Magistrates Courts
- Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- Valuation Office Agency (VOA)
- Credit Reference Agencies – to undertake single person discount review
- Telsolutions (text messaging reminder service provider)
Personal data is also shared for the prevention and detection of crime, including fraud via the National Fraud Initiative.
How Long Will the Data Be Kept For
- 6 years from year of collection.
- 6 months for single person review.