Recycling and rubbish collection days are also changing for some households in Mendip and South Somerset. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.


We provide a wide range of services to the public. The personal information we collect will vary according to the service provided.

We record and use your personal information:

  • to support our duties under the law
  • where we have an obligation and official authority to help our partners
  • where you have asked us for help

To support our duties under the law

We will collect your information where we are required to provide a service by law.
This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Health and Social Care
  • Planning
  • Education
  • Public Health

We must collect your personal information to make sure these duties are carried out lawfully and fairly.

Where we have an obligation and official authority to help our partners

We have a duty to work in partnership with other organisations such as the NHS, and police, and this obligation is specified in law.

We do this where we have joint responsibilities, for example:

  • providing a health-care service
  • promoting public health
  • preventing crime and disorder

Where you have asked us for help

Where you have asked for a service that is not required by law or a specific obligation, you must give your permission for us to use your personal information. This is called “explicit consent”.

If your consent is required, we will provide you with a full explanation of how your data will be processed, stored and shared.

You will need to show us, by means of your signature or a “tick in a box” that we can use your information to provide you with that service.

Where we have asked for your explicit consent, you can contact us at any time to withdraw your permission. We will stop processing your data. This will result in those services that rely on your consent being withdrawn.

We will use your information to support us

We will use your information to support us with one or more of the following:

  • to deliver services and support to you or your family
  • to manage those services we provide to you or your family
  • to train and manage the employment of our workers who deliver those services
  • to help investigate any worries or complaints you have about our services
  • to keep track of spending on services
  • to check the quality of services
  • to help with research and the planning of new services

More specifically:

  • administering the assessment and collection of taxes and other revenue, including benefits and grants
  • carrying out health and public awareness campaigns
  • carrying out surveys
  • corporate administration and all activities we are required to carry out as a data controller and public authority
  • crime prevention and prosecution of offenders, including the use of CCTV
  • data matching under local and national fraud initiatives
  • health and social care integration
  • internal financial support and corporate functions
  • licensing and regulatory activities
  • local fraud initiatives
  • maintaining our own accounts and records
  • managing archived records for historical and research reasons
  • managing our property
  • marketing for local tourism
  • profiling for the purposes of the Supporting Families Initiative
  • promoting the services we provide
  • providing leisure and cultural services
  • providing education
  • public health
  • supporting and managing our employees
  • providing all commercial services, including administering and enforcing parking regulations and restrictions
  • providing all non-commercial activities, including refuse collections from residential properties
  • providing social services
  • undertaking research

How to complain

We strive to ensure that:

  • your personal information is collected and processed lawfully and fairly
  • you are kept informed of your rights

If you feel that we have not acted in the way we should have done, or have made a decision that you do not agree with, you can write to us and complain. You can also complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

The Information Commissioner’s Office will investigate your complaint and tell us if we have not complied with our duties under the current data protection legislation. Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office online at Contact us – ICO.

Information Commissioner’s Office contact details  

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Phone: 0303 123 1113

Last reviewed: February 19, 2024 by Ian

Next review due: August 19, 2024

Back to top